Author Topic: Ignition Keys and Buildsheets?  (Read 3386 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Ignition Keys and Buildsheets?
« on: November 29, 2021, 12:38:48 AM »
Someone remarked to me that there were only about 20 distinct keys made for any one year, which I think is too low a number.  But that raised an intriguing question: were ignition/door keys specified in the buildsheet?  If not, how did they get tracked to the registration booklet?  Was that done at the dealership?  Any idea how ignition and door keys were assigned to the car as it was being built?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Ignition Keys and Buildsheets?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:16:01 AM »
Not on build sheets to the best of my knowledge

Its an interesting question, I suspect it was on paperwork in car somewhere and the small metal ring attached to the keys

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
The keys came with rings with the codes on them.  These were usually recorded on the car/buyer info in the owner's manual.  I'd agree that there were many more than 20.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 11:29:06 AM »
Single cut Ford keys - 1000 combinations.
Double cut Ford keys - 1864 combinations.

Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline sgl66

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 06:23:46 PM »
The keys came with rings with the codes on them.  These were usually recorded on the car/buyer info in the owner's manual.  I'd agree that there were many more than 20.
I have them on my dealer invoice also, one of them with an FN number above 300
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 07:04:41 PM »
Someone remarked to me that there were only about 20 distinct keys made for any one year, which I think is too low a number.  But that raised an intriguing question: were ignition/door keys specified in the buildsheet? If not, how did they get tracked to the registration booklet?  Was that done at the dealership?

Agree with Pete this information was not included on the buildsheet. May not have been needed to be notated on any factory paperwork since the keys were included with the car. Dealer would have kept records of the keys so that it would make it easier if they were lost while in their car or the owner lost them.

Any idea how ignition and door keys were assigned to the car as it was being built?

Randomly assigned
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 10:07:07 PM »
Fair enough.  If the keys were randomly assigned to the cars on the factory floor, there must have been a traveler associated with the key cut number that carried it through from installation to final delivery out the door (and then on to the dealer) via owner's manual/warranty card?  To me, that's a big hole for potential failures and QA snafus. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 05:03:06 PM »
Checked and the only place I can find the key set number is on early owners manuals suggesting to me right now that the dealers  collected the information when the car arrived at the dealership or when the car was sold. Ford owners manuals didn't come with the car from the factories generally from my understanding.

Looked through my collection of warranty cars, both temp and official ones sent to owners from Ford,  and there is no key identification coding on them  on any that I have pictures of.  Checked shipping invoices, basically the way that the plant identified the features and options of the new car to the dealership, and I see no key codes listed on the ones I have  Couple hundred or so at this time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 08:05:59 PM »
Do the individual lock cylinders have the codes on them?

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 08:22:59 PM »

One of the door locks does. I believe it is supposed to be the left one.

Do the individual lock cylinders have the codes on them?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 08:50:07 PM »
If the glove box is keyed it has the lock code on it for the glove box and trunk lock.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 09:15:19 AM »
One of the door locks does. I believe it is supposed to be the left one.
If the glove box is keyed it has the lock code on it for the glove box and trunk lock.

True on both counts and codes could be found on the trunk lock too. Regarding the door code, it actually could be either side, pending model line and/or production period.
Car thieves used this "feature" to easily make keys for cars made after hot wiring them so eventually, manufacturers quit coding them in such easier-to-find locations.
Cars used to also be shipped with the keys in the ignition but for obvious reasons, that ended too!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:18:09 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 12:47:34 PM »
Scott, thats a very interesting set of facts thanks for posting them, I never saw them before. :D
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »
Considering that there are 5 tumblers per each lock, and let's assume 10 different lengths of tumbler, that's only 50 combinations. Back to the chalk board.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 09:25:01 PM »
Considering that there are 5 tumblers per each lock, and let's assume 10 different lengths of tumbler, that's only 50 combinations. Back to the chalk board.
Jim
Jim - going with your assumption of 10 different lengths; associate the lengths with decimals.  Then associate the 5 tumblers with digits on an integer.  With that you would have 99,999 combinations.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660