Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Ignition Keys and Buildsheets?

(1/8) > >>

midlife:
Someone remarked to me that there were only about 20 distinct keys made for any one year, which I think is too low a number.  But that raised an intriguing question: were ignition/door keys specified in the buildsheet?  If not, how did they get tracked to the registration booklet?  Was that done at the dealership?  Any idea how ignition and door keys were assigned to the car as it was being built?

Coralsnake:
Not on build sheets to the best of my knowledge

Its an interesting question, I suspect it was on paperwork in car somewhere and the small metal ring attached to the keys

CharlesTurner:
The keys came with rings with the codes on them.  These were usually recorded on the car/buyer info in the owner's manual.  I'd agree that there were many more than 20.

krelboyne:
Single cut Ford keys - 1000 combinations.
Double cut Ford keys - 1864 combinations.

sgl66:

--- Quote from: CharlesTurner on November 29, 2021, 10:25:53 AM ---The keys came with rings with the codes on them.  These were usually recorded on the car/buyer info in the owner's manual.  I'd agree that there were many more than 20.

--- End quote ---
I have them on my dealer invoice also, one of them with an FN number above 300

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version