Author Topic: double spare tire holddown bracket  (Read 1704 times)

Offline turtledriver

double spare tire holddown bracket
« on: February 05, 2022, 11:22:17 AM »
why would the factory put 2 spare tire brackets on.  1966 convertible.  The bottom bracket is a little different than the top in that it has a notch cut out of it.  Almost like it was designed for holding in a jack but if that were the case it would be very common

Offline KevinK

Re: double spare tire holddown bracket
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 01:56:26 PM »
I'm sure some experts will speak up but it looks like the seam sealer has been replaced. My guess the hold down has been added when it was worked on.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 02:44:27 PM »
Agreed. There are a lot of indications that there has been work done in this area well after leaving the factory.  If you want to learn more, go to the library area and look at pictures of unrestored cars of the same year.  Then narrow down to the same assembly plant. If there is more than one, get as close of a match as possible to the assembly date.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline turtledriver

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 02:44:50 PM »
Some people say it was a mistake however there is another example of it on this site which is identical.  Additionally the lower bracket is a little different than the top one in that it has a notch cut out.  Its a different part number not just a duplicate.  I'm pretty sure this is factory and not a mistake.  So the question is why?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 02:45:14 PM »
why would the factory put 2 spare tire brackets on.  1966 convertible.  The bottom bracket is a little different than the top in that it has a notch cut out of it.  Almost like it was designed for holding in a jack but if that were the case it would be very common
First, welcome to the Forum. After 55 or so years, almost anything is possible. I made a few "modifications" to my 66 Fastback in the first couple of years I owned it so I know it's has been done. It's sort of obvious the bracket doesn't belong there. You have two choices, leave it or remove it, and that depends on what you intend to do with your Mustang.
Jim
After your second post, it seem to be more of an anomaly then a previous owner's add-on. Where did the second picture come from?
Jim
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 02:48:39 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline turtledriver

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 02:56:14 PM »
A little about this mustang.  I acquired it recently from an estate and it had been sitting in a basement garage since at least March 26th 1978.  I know this because grill parts and other things were wrapped in newspapers and put in boxes.  It got repainted and not very well and I suspect never put back together.  I suspect it has been sitting a few years more because the tires are dated Nov 1970 and still have a good bit of tread left on them.  All the sheetmetal is stamped and dated and has no signs of rust or repairs (other than an all over paint).  It's the best preserved 66 convertible GT I've ever seen.  The spark plugs are all autolight BRF42s and the odometer says 44K miles which may actually be correct. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 03:05:46 PM »
A little about this mustang.  I acquired it recently from an estate and it had been sitting in a basement garage since at least March 26th 1978.  I know this because grill parts and other things were wrapped in newspapers and put in boxes.  It got repainted and not very well and I suspect never put back together.  I suspect it has been sitting a few years more because the tires are dated Nov 1970 and still have a good bit of tread left on them.  All the sheetmetal is stamped and dated and has no signs of rust or repairs (other than an all over paint).  It's the best preserved 66 convertible GT I've ever seen.  The spark plugs are all autolight BRF42s and the odometer says 44K miles which may actually be correct.
BRF42 sparkplugs are a much later over the counter addition to your car. They were never used on the assemblyline in this case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline turtledriver

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 03:12:25 PM »
When were the BRF42 discontinued in favor of the BSF42 or BF45's?  I've read the 45's came out in 1968 and replaced the 42's

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 03:13:34 PM »
After your second post, it seem to be more of an anomaly then a previous owner's add-on. Where did the second picture come from?
Jim

Unrestored section

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16692.msg104398&fbclid=IwAR2_BkKE7APhrN8xEA3ym3yg8_AyLtGkMZpxSJGGuQb70h3Iu93E3fu9VzU#msg104398

Someone on Facebook suggests this was done on GT?s for the placement of the styled steel wheel hold down. Not sure how accurate that is.

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline turtledriver

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 03:17:36 PM »
My understanding is if you had styled steel wheels you would still have a plain steel spare.. not styled wheel spare  The standard jbolt is too short to work with the styled steel wheel and putting a bracket lower would only make it worse. 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 03:57:11 PM »
"Someone on Facebook suggests this was done on GT?s for the placement of the styled steel wheel hold down. Not sure how accurate that is. "

not accurate at all. stay away from f/b. why would a GT be any different?
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 04:03:56 PM »
When were the BRF42 discontinued in favor of the BSF42 or BF45's?  I've read the 45's came out in 1968 and replaced the 42's
BF 42 was what was used on many applications. The BRF 42 came out later. The BF 42 was a common plug used up through the end of the 60's. Your owners manual shows what plugs your car used . Information is also found in the service specification book that is a companion to the shop manual. In the case of your 66 Mustang the BF 42 is what came on the 289 with the exception of the hipo which took the BF32 . 6 cylinders took the BF82.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 04:28:47 PM »
............. I'm pretty sure this is factory and not a mistake.  So the question is why?

Would suggest to you that it can be factory done and still a mistake. There are plenty of examples. If it were intentional we would have more examples more examples all from the same production period and plant. And even then it could be a single worker that shift that was new or filling in that was the cause where he put them in the wrong spot and another worker (with a different supplier with a slightly different part) had to put another in the correct spot.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 04:30:28 PM »
"Someone on Facebook suggests this was done on GT?s for the placement of the styled steel wheel hold down. Not sure how accurate that is. "

not accurate at all. stay away from f/b. why would a GT be any different?

+1   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »
Where did the second picture come from?
Unrestored section
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16692.msg104398&fbclid=IwAR2_BkKE7APhrN8xEA3ym3yg8_AyLtGkMZpxSJGGuQb70h3Iu93E3fu9VzU#msg104398
Someone on Facebook suggests this was done on GT?s for the placement of the styled steel wheel hold down. Not sure how accurate that is.
My 66 GT Fastback K Deluxe Interior came with ALL five Style Steel Wheels, was built about 10 days after the referenced convertible and does not have the extra bracket.
The spark plugs are all autolight BRF42s and the odometer says 44K miles which may actually be correct. 
The "BRF" Autolite plug series were supposed to be of a low static type to improve radio reception. They were in addition to low static plug wires. (My 66 GT Fastback "K" currently has around 79,000 miles.)
BF 42 was what was used on many applications. The BRF 42 came out later. The BF 42 was a common plug used up through the end of the 60's. Your owners manual shows what plugs your car used . Information is also found in the service specification book that is a companion to the shop manual. In the case of your 66 Mustang the BF 42 is what came on the 289 with the exception of the hipo which took the BF32 . 6 cylinders took the BF82.
All true.
The "45" was the Ford Motorcraft equivalent of the BF42.
not accurate at all. stay away from f/b.
"Stay away from Facebook" is the best advice presented for the day, except it's Saturday, so have a beer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.