Author Topic: Jets -  (Read 524 times)

Offline jwc66k

Jets -
« on: March 08, 2022, 08:34:14 PM »
The picture shows two secondary jets for an Autolite 4100 carburetor, the "down" or "inside the carburetor" are shown up (note the holes). Both are size 58, but the one on the left is a new, replacement size 58, and the one on the right is the original Ford size 58F. Note the "cup" on the original Ford jet leading to the hole, and lack of the "cup" on the reproduction. The original primary jets have the same "cup" feature. I assume the Autolite 2100 carburetor primaries have "cups".
My question are:
What is the purpose of the "cup"?
What difference does the lack of the "cup" vs the use of the "cup" make in performance?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline preaction

Re: Jets -
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 10:16:49 PM »
I would think it has to do with flow dynamics and performance as simple as the shapes may appear the tooling for the ford jet was likely more costly and specific where as the newer part simply "cheaper" to produce.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
Re: Jets -
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 11:12:08 AM »
One is engineered, the other is made roughly the same size and has a hole drilled in it...
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...