Author Topic: Power top hydraulic system reinstall.  (Read 236 times)

Offline jackhodges

Power top hydraulic system reinstall.
« on: May 02, 2022, 03:27:13 PM »
If I have the entire power top hydraulic system out of the car, can I assemble it out of the car, bleed it and check for leaks then slip it into place assembled?  New paint and I don't want to get power steering fluid all over everything bleeding it inside the car.  It seems like this would be the way to go if a car was moving down the assembly line anyway...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 03:31:54 PM by carlite65 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power tope hydraulic system reinstall.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 03:33:54 PM »
If I have the entire power top hydraulic system out of the car, can I assemble it out of the car, bleed it and check for leaks then slip it into place assembled?  New paint and I don't want to get power steering fluid all over everything bleeding it inside the car.  It seems like this would be the way to go if a car was moving down the assembly line anyway...
I understand your frustration however the short answer is no. Lines go through and around inner structures on both sides that are too small for connected cylinders to pass through.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Power tope hydraulic system reinstall.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »
I understand your frustration however the short answer is no. Lines go through and around inner structures on both sides that are too small for connected cylinders to pass through.

+1, also consider that once installed in the car, the cylinders will be under load from the weight of the top frame, so would be the best test for leaks.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jackhodges

Re: Power top hydraulic system reinstall.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 06:31:12 PM »
Thanks guys!  The car is coming back home from the paint shop this week and I'm trying to plan out what to do first!  I kind of thought those cylinders wouldn't go through those holes in the back corners.