Author Topic: Source for emblem templates?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Source for emblem templates?
« on: July 27, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »
I'm in search of a template to use so I can accurately drill the holes I need in the front fenders of my '65 fastback to mount the "Running Horse" and the "MUSTANG 2+2" emblems.  I thought a good, accurate template for this chore would be fairly easy to find with one of the Mustang vendors, but so far no luck.  If anyone knows of a source it would be really helpful.  Thanks, Ron!

Offline Chris Thauberger

• Quality is doing it right when no one is watching
Re: Source for emblem templates?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »
Take a piece of cardboard and a single sheet of paper.

Put the paper on the card board and push the emblem until it goes through the paper/cardboard.

Trace around the emblem with a pencil so you have an idea of the orientation.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 03:58:51 PM »
Chris

Thanks for that.  Do you recall what size drill bit you used that creates holes that correctly accept the barrel nuts and the pins on the back of the emblem?  Which emblem were you mounting?  Thanks, Ron
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:03:20 PM by MustangAndFairlane1867 »

Offline Chris Thauberger

• Quality is doing it right when no one is watching
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »
I was mounting the Cobra emblem in the video and drilled 3/16 holes for the barrel clips.  I used a small piece of sheet metal to test to see if it was correct the Drill size. Your emblem may use a different size barrel clip and I would suggest test fitting them in some scrap sheet metal first. They should be a tight fit not loose.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:02:09 PM by Chris Thauberger »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
I was mounting the Cobra emblem in the video and drilled 3/16 holes for the barrel clips.  I used a small piece of sheet metal to test to see if it was correct the Drill size. Your emblem may use a different size barrel clip and I would suggest test fitting them in some scrap sheet metal first. They should be a tight fit not loose.

Always good to do a practice test :)  Thanks for sharing that Chris
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:48:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »
Definitely plan to confirm fit and drill sizes on a piece of scrap, and making up a template that will also be "tested" on a scrap piece before moving on to the NOS fenders for finals.  Thanks for the reminder.  Ron...

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:55:01 AM »
I have never noticed anyone selling any emblem templates. That would be great if they did.

As others have shared, a little creativity can go a long way. I have found the best way to achieve the best results is by using an 'original example' fender (hood or trunk lid, etc.) as a a source for locating the typical original location measurements. Without an original panel, things might get trickey.

After confirming the typical location and/or spacing...I have found that placing and clamping a donor section of sheet metal directly over the holes already in the original (rusted out or collision damage) panel works best, then drilling holes into your new sheet metal section from the back side. (This might be challenging on a hood, trunk lid or behind a fender brace or the likes and may require cutting obsticals out of the way)
Keep in mind that some times, a drill bit can 'walk a little bit' so always use a new, self-centering premium quality bit. The old holes will keep you on track only about +95% so test fit the emblem or pin letter in your newly-formed template and slot any holes found to be off-center in the template (if needed), marking any side of any particular slots that you may have found off-center slightly and when drilling into your new panel, force the drill towards that marking. It isn't a perfect solution but this way should get results closest to your orginal panel as possible.

Obviously, without an original panel with the original holes, the challenge is a bit greater but in my opinion, a person should at least, ALWAYS get measurements from original panels and avoid simply using a rough-guess for any of the locations. You might be surprised how some original emblems were placed slightly different from side to side on original examples ;) 
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »
65GTAsanjose:  I took the measurements off a beautiful, one-owner/unrestored '65 fastback I saw at the Fab Fords Forever car show this year and I'll be using them to create a template.  The measurements were: 5" from the back edge of the fender (where it meets the door) to the letter "M"; 6" from the top of the stainless on the rocker to the bottom of the red/white/blue "post" the horse is on; and 5 1/4" from the horse's nose to the nearest edge of the front fender.  Here's a picture (I hope) of the emblem and my measurements:

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
Wouldn't it be awesome to find the template(s) that Ford used. Now that would be a neat find!!!   8)  Curious if it was a metal template/guide  or some type of set up using numerous drills at once??? Anyone know?
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 01:41:53 AM »
Giddyup--I would pay for one of those right now.  In the meantime I'm working on a template.  We'll see how that goes.  Ron...

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 12:36:37 PM »
I was hoping someone would chime in with a pic or explain how Ford did it. I am preparing to paint my latest project and I'm switching out the current repro fenders for redone originals. Luckily the originals have the factory holes for mounting the emblems but these were off of a I6 car so I will be making a template from the repro fenders and transferring to the originals for the 289 emblem location.
I was also wondering about the rocker moulding holes. The Ford fenders I will be using already have the large front hole drilled but the single moulding retainer clip holes were lost due to a rust repair. I will be trying a template for that area as well.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 07:57:26 PM »
I found this post and a few other threads. Has anyone come up with a template? Adding the running horse and Mustang 2+2 script to an October 64 Dearborn build 6 cyl fastback.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 11:32:49 PM »
I see no answers have shown up. I found this old MM web article (Now on Motor Trend.com), but most of the pictures are missing. Anyone have them archived?

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mump-0105-how-to-pin-letters-on-a-1965-1968-mustang/

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.