Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Power Steering Cylinder Blues

(1/3) > >>

69 black r code:
I have bought 2 replacement boots for the stud end of my steering cylinder and damaged both trying to install. Have bought both from Maryland mustang as they seem to have the most authentic looking clamp. Have tried sliding the clamp on first but wasn't able to then get it on the boot. Tried sliding the clamp on the boot and installing together. Both methods ending with a damaged boot.  Anyone else have this issue or know of a successful method?

jwc66k:
Apply a drop or two of liquid dish soap, laundry soap or hand cleaner (without any "grit"in it) on the metal surface first. Also put the boot in the sun for a half bour to "soften" it up. .
Jim

69 black r code:
Yes, did both of those suggestions. I can get the boot on with no problems. It's the clamp.  I installed the clamp first but wasn't able to get it to slide in to the boot groove without damaging the raised lip. Tried putting the clamp on the boot and installing together but wasn't able to without the boot tearing. Almost as if the clamp is too small. 

Bossbill:
If it has the dimple where it is squeezed, as their picture shows, it would not be assembly line correct.
It may not only look incorrect but be the incorrect size as well.

69 black r code:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on June 09, 2022, 10:37:37 AM ---If it has the dimple where it is squeezed, as their picture shows, it would not be assembly line correct.
It may not only look incorrect but be the incorrect size as well.

--- End quote ---
You are correct. Dug out my original clamp today and it does not have the dimple. It is also a thinner band than the aftermarket. Might be a little bigger circumference as well but hard to be sure as it is a little distorted from removal. Anyone know of a source for a correct clamp? Also a boot as the original has a smooth finish and the aftermarket is textured.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version