Author Topic: Search for Most Recent Pony Carbs Customer  (Read 4726 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Search for Most Recent Pony Carbs Customer
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »
Who is the most recent customer of Jon at Pony Carbs?
There's a lot of negative stuff being said on VMF right now and I have mine boxed up to go to him.

Thanks,
Nervous
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Search for Most Recent Pony Carbs Customer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
Who is the most recent customer of Jon at Pony Carbs?
There's a lot of negative stuff being said on VMF right now and I have mine boxed up to go to him.

Thanks,
Nervous
Just got back from doing a search on VMF trying to see what was said and couldn't find anything with a recent date. I just used pony carbs as a search parameter. I received a 67 Holley GT350 carb a few months ago and everything is fine. Percentage wise you will hear way more people with sour grapes then those who think they did their job as they were supposed to or if it was exceptionally well. That should be taken into consideration. If a carb owner makes a mistake and doesn't follow directions which causes a problem guess what generally is the first thing that happens when there is rightful grounds to deny a free of charge claim. They say the company is bad,terrible work etc.etc. Not to mention that they are suddenly rude because they don't hear what they want them to say. The Internet is a easy place to spread poison and revenge . Sometimes it is justified and other times it is someone being unreasonable and not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions and blame someone else. I am sure Pony makes their share of mistakes (the human factor)but I think the percentage is low IMHO. I have used them for years and out of the numerious times of sending carbs  I have had a few problems which they always took care of. Percentage wise it was low when compared to the amount of work sent to them by myself and a local resto shop. I didn't think it indicated a pattern of bad work or a problem. I especially liked the fact that there was ongoing research into how to make the carb restorations better looking and performance. Just some things to take into consideration when reading online complaints.  Are there others out there that do good work? Certainly. Do they have their share of problems ? You would be foolish not to think so IMHO. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
5F09C331248

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »
Believe there has been some health issues that may have contributed to recent issues

Just a possibility
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »
I have had Jon and staff do 3 carburetors for me-all came back perfect:
1st carb was a semi-custom 4100 Autolite 1.08 that I sent in to have set up for my 1978 F150s completely stock 302 with automatic trans, it was perfect right out of the box-needed VERY MINOR air-fuel and idle speed adjustments on my engine, I spoke to Jon about what I needed and he built me a GREAT 4100!!
2nd carb-believe it or not was the CARTER WCFB (4V) from our '57 CHEVY's 283 Power Pak engine, Jon even CALLED ME to say what a GREAT carb it was right out of the box ON HIS END, this carb was rebuild/restored/plated and was perfect right of the box, again, just VERY MINOR air-fuel and idle speed adjustments!!
3rd carb was an Autolite 4100 1.12 "Hipo Clone"-I had bought a Galaxie big block carb off Ebay with manual choke...well THIS CARB wasn't the right core to build the Hipo Clone on so Jon gave me credit on it and ended up using the manual choke pieces off of it (replated) on the correct core he built for me, Jon was very easy to talk to and deal with, I always watch his videos before installing the carbs and never a problem-THIS CARB was perfect right out of the box!!
A few years back I heard all the complaints about Jon and his staff at Pony, He himself logged on to one of the descussions and APOLOGISED for his attitude and wanted to take care of anyone's carb that he had done and make them right-he went on to say that ALOT of his bad publicity was from folks that had NO IDEA what a carb even was in the first place, and had no business trying to swap one out, ect, in otherwords a NON CAR PERSON!!
I hadn't heard anything about the possibility of a health problem concerning Jon, but if it is true then I think we all should give him some space and be understanding and offer to help him if we can-is anyone near his place in Newe Mexico??
I am going to be helping a friend finish up a '63 Falcon and will need an Autolite? 1100 built for it, and as far as I am concerned Jon & his staff at Pony will do it without question from me whatsoever!

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »
I have 3 carburetors from Pony Carbs, first I bought in 1992, only problem was one of the brass floats developed a hole and sunk, very easy to replace. 2nd was in 2001, never had any problems during 40,000 miles, last was my original 2100 rebuilt with no problems.

Jon may act like he knows more than the customer and he probably does, this turns some people off and leads them to talk about the whole business being bad or whatnot, potential customers should overlook this.... I doubt you'll find a better place to rebuild one.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 05:47:06 AM »
I really was looking for comments on THE CURRENT SITUATION there.
I have pretty much came to the conclusion that I want them to do my carb.

I JUST DON'T KNOW IF RECENT EVENTS WILL CAUSE MY CARB TO GO INTO A BLACK HOLE AND NEVER RETURN.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 06:52:33 AM »
Brian, If you were to read the postings on the linked thread on the VMF you will see Rick Schmidts post about finding out that Jon IS battling brain cancer, so it seems that he is sick to say the least.
I think you should make a polite inquirey as to what the turn-around time will be for your carb before you send it in.
I am sure that Jon isn't the only one there that rebuilds carbs, and there are plans in place for when Jon needs to be out to deal with his cancer-hopefully he will recover and be back to helping all of us out and sharing his knoledge in Mustang Monthly.
I do not believe that your carb or anyone elses will go into a black hole.

I suggest WE ALL PRAY for Jon's recovery.

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »
Brian, If you were to read the postings on the linked thread on the VMF you will see Rick Schmidts post about finding out that Jon IS battling brain cancer, so it seems that he is sick to say the least.
I think you should make a polite inquirey as to what the turn-around time will be for your carb before you send it in.
I am sure that Jon isn't the only one there that rebuilds carbs, and there are plans in place for when Jon needs to be out to deal with his cancer-hopefully he will recover and be back to helping all of us out and sharing his knoledge in Mustang Monthly.
I do not believe that your carb or anyone elses will go into a black hole.

I suggest WE ALL PRAY for Jon's recovery.

Thanks,
I wish for Jon and his friends and family to be given peace and comfort in a trying time.  I had not went back to VMF for info since my original post of this thread.  I was unaware. 
Sorry if I implied any bad thoughts toward them at Pony.  I just don't want to lose my original carb.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
Brian & All, Whats the latest on Pony/Jon?? I see an ad in this months Mustang Times......I sent an Email to Pony last month when this thead was new offering good wishes and prayers for Jon, never heard anything back......

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »
Sent my carburetor for my 66 convertible to Pony Carburetors on March 17th, They called me on March 22nd to let me know they had received it and what needed to be fixed(concours restoration). I received my carburetor back from them fully restored on April 19th. The carburetor looks fantastic.

Dave

65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
I understand from friends who have spoken to Jon that he is trying to work through the treatment options . I also understand that he has capable people that will step in when needed so he can concentrate on issues with his battle. My prayers and best wishes go out to Jon during this trying time. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby