Author Topic: WTB: four OEM unrestored radiator to rad support bolts and U nuts  (Read 761 times)

Offline 21.04

I'm hunting for four nice OEM unrestored bolts and U nuts attaching radiator to rad support.  These are for 7/1/66 projected built SJ HP Conv manual trans car.
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline jwc66k

Re: WTB: four OEM unrestored radiator to rad support bolts and U nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »
I'm hunting for four nice OEM unrestored bolts and U nuts attaching radiator to rad support.  These are for 7/1/66 projected built SJ HP Conv manual trans car.
The chances of finding these hardware items are very low. The four nuts and bolts around the radiator are always rusty, primarily because they get the full force of the elements (read rain and snow) while driving, and also get wet from radiator overflows and other engine situations.
I'll be honest, do you know by Ford hardware part number what you want? Those part numbers are documented in the library under topic - "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet - 64-66", the fire by "application" MHW64-66AP06.XLSX (the "06" is the revision").
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 21.04

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 07:47:33 AM »
I have not looked into the part number of hardware.  What I'm looking for are for a t-bred project and these could be plant specific as well.  I have not yet researched photos or actual cars at different plants to know whether or not  the bolt heads or bolt types were similar at all plants or not.  My car is is fairly complete, but missing a few bolts.  I'm hoping to avoid buying a 4th donor car just for a few bolts. 

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 08:12:48 AM »
I found the drawing in the 1967 body assembly manual, but not the 1966 version.  For 1967 a 380020-S2 is called out.  That particular "J" nut is not listed in the Ford fastener catalogs that I have access to (1959/60/61/65/69/75/2004).  I don't have any AMK books.  A general Google search did not yield any results.  Jim of course has this same information in the 1967 version of the hardware spreadsheet.

Then I checked the 1966 hardware spreadsheet.  It is listed here as well, but the notes say "NO 66 DWG" - which is exactly what I found.

After that I went back to the 1965 body assembly manual and found the info - the bottom line is that four 380020-S2 is what you are looking for.  As far as the exact manufacturer for the assembly plant and time span, that of course can't be provided by any documentation that I'm aware of.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 03:00:30 PM »
I found the drawing in the 1967 body assembly manual, but not the 1966 version.  For 1967 a 380020-S2 is called out.  That particular "J" nut is not listed in the Ford fastener catalogs that I have access to (1959/60/61/65/69/75/2004).  I don't have any AMK books.  A general Google search did not yield any results.  Jim of course has this same information in the 1967 version of the hardware spreadsheet.

Then I checked the 1966 hardware spreadsheet.  It is listed here as well, but the notes say "NO 66 DWG" - which is exactly what I found.

After that I went back to the 1965 body assembly manual and found the info - the bottom line is that four 380020-S2 is what you are looking for.  As far as the exact manufacturer for the assembly plant and time span, that of course can't be provided by any documentation that I'm aware of.
I have the "extra" advantage of having several (I'm down to two) 1966 Mustangs, all with 289 V8 engines, to use as a reference, plus I carry a clip board at car shows to check out other Mustangs, so when I enter any hardware item into the master file (as or today, it has 10,533 lines of hardware data) - I am absolutely sure of its accuracy (mostly).
I have not looked into the part number of hardware.  What I'm looking for are for a t-bred project and these could be plant specific as well. 
And there lies the problem. You have no idea what you are looking for. If you want accurate "thoroughbred" level hardware, you need to know the Ford hardware part number as used on the assembly line. Those part numbers are documented in the Jim Osborn Productions, Mustang Assembly Manuals. To obtain "pristine" replacement items, be prepared to buy a lot of "parts cars". The other option is to buy new. Your choice.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 21.04

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 03:51:50 PM »
Thanks John and Jim.  I'll invest in the Mustang Assembly manual.  I am ok with paying a little more for new hardware.  Are there any sources you know of?  Or are you suggesting to know what to hunt for and buy when I find it?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 05:35:41 PM »
Thanks John and Jim.  I'll invest in the Mustang Assembly manual.  I am ok with paying a little more for new hardware.  Are there any sources you know of?  Or are you suggesting to know what to hunt for and buy when I find it?
Jim means "new" as in from AMK,NPD etc. You have unrealistic expectations if you think you will find NOS assemblyline looking hardware that you need in Ford boxes etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 05:37:47 PM »
i agree with bob, a worthy search but a futile goal.
5F09C331248

Offline 21.04

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 09:09:32 PM »
I can see my post may be going South of what I had in mind.  Not seeking new nos hardware and my use of "unrestored" here could have caused the group to head the discussion that direction.  Just looking for high grade "farm fresh" OEM pieces that are good candidates to restore and avoid parts that may have seen unprofessional attempts to clean them up, repainted over rust, or already have pits or severe rust.  My car essentially has most hardware (that I'm certain are candidates to restore) but am missing a few rather common pieces.  Hope that helps clarify what I'm searching for. 

Offline sgl66

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 09:47:35 PM »
I have not looked into the part number of hardware.  What I'm looking for are for a t-bred project and these could be plant specific as well.
Do you know what the bolt head markings should be? My 66 Metuchen car is mostly RBW but I don't think those were used in SJ. I have some nice extra OEM u nuts but have no idea if they are correct for your application. If you post some pictures of what they should be, that will help
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:55:08 AM by sgl66 »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 02:35:43 AM »
Would suggest looking for examples from other cars built close in production from the same assembly plant.  There will be some out there, but finding good ones off a car might be challenging.

I would only consider new/AMK bolts as a last resort for a T-bred restoration.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 05:12:36 AM »
The positive thing is that your doing a San Jose car so plenty of nice ones out there. Challenge is finding someone that cares enough about the "little things" to remove and or keep them and in turn finding that person. Believe you can likely expand the search to include Fairlanes and Falcons from the same plant and time period

There is this thread I started a number of years back as a reference

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15988.msg100203#msg100203
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 21.04

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 10:13:22 PM »
Thanks for the link Jeff and all the others, Jim, Charles for your replies as well!  Unfortunately, I only have one SJ example (hi-po I'm searching hardware for) that is missing what I need.  I'll need to review Jeff's prior post and look at other SJ cars with similar projected builds as Charles suggests to perhaps come up with some photos of exact bolts and heads I need. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 05:08:25 PM »
I did look through my pictures and could not find any from your cars time period that showed the head markings. Just letting you know that I did look.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 06:13:46 PM »
This is what I did when they became available. This is a photo from a 66 Shelby restoration by Jeremy Hill, at Maple Hills Restoration. It's from the Virginia Classic Mustang blog on their website. Like Jim mentioned, mine were so rusted up, they weren't recognizable, especially the head markings on any of the bolts. I was able to save the original 2 row brackets.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options