Author Topic: Looking for Gear Shift Interlock Rod Pin - 3 speed manual  (Read 822 times)

Offline ExportMach

Looking for Gear Shift Interlock Rod Pin - 3 speed manual
« on: February 25, 2023, 10:58:31 AM »
During reassembly of my OE transmission I found that I do not have all the small pieces that fit in the vertical hole in the case. I have the spring (7234) but not the pin and Im not sure if Im missing other pieces. Ive searched for a kit but  have not found one. Im wondering if there is an aftermarket kit that a rebuilder could use on a 4 speed that I can use (same p/n for a 4 sp). Any leads are welcome.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 11:01:04 AM by ExportMach »
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline K-HESS

Re: Looking for Gear Shift Interlock Rod Pin - 3 speed manual
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 03:48:36 PM »
Changes were made to the detents during production runs so it would depend on what you have. David Kee Toploaders has a break down of shift rails and detents in their ID Charts. I do believe you can buy single detent pieces. If your looking for a used piece I have plenty I have salvaged from years of Toploader rebuilds. The last picture is the 4 different ones I have.

One other note about David Kee he is not good at answering the phone or emails. When I need something I purchase it online and it usually arrives in 5-7 business days. I ordered a rebuild kit from him 3 weeks ago and it arrived in 7 days as expected.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline ExportMach

Re: Looking for Gear Shift Interlock Rod Pin - 3 speed manual
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 01:52:26 PM »
Changes were made to the detents during production runs so it would depend on what you have. David Kee Toploaders has a break down of shift rails and detents in their ID Charts. I do believe you can buy single detent pieces. If your looking for a used piece I have plenty I have salvaged from years of Toploader rebuilds. The last picture is the 4 different ones I have.

One other note about David Kee he is not good at answering the phone or emails. When I need something I purchase it online and it usually arrives in 5-7 business days. I ordered a rebuild kit from him 3 weeks ago and it arrived in 7 days as expected.

K-HESS,
Thank you for your very helpful reply. After looking at the pic of the Type 5 rail kit on David Kee's website, scrutinizing the shop manual and probing the vertical hole in my case I think I can say that I DO have the all the pieces afterall. It appears the springs and plugs are stacked below, between and on top of the shift rails. I inserted a probe into the hole after removing the long spring and compared the depth on the outside of the hole and there is some space below my probe before the top of the 1st/reverse shift rail. I believe there is a detent plug present. I am going to attempt to pull it with a magnet to confirm but Im almost certain I have all the pieces now after my inspection. I apologize for my false alrm but have learned something about my transmission I didnt know before my post.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1