Author Topic: Slow cranking after car sits  (Read 2965 times)

Offline dave6768

Re: Slow cranking after car sits
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »
I'm with Midlife.  With 20 ma draw, you should be able to sit a month.  Check the battery.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Re: Slow cranking after car sits
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2023, 11:29:24 AM »
   I wanted to add a follow up for those who possibly could experience this. Since the last post, I have kept the rally clock unplugged. The car will start but still, slow cranking than my other cars. Battery was checked out at the napa store and no issues found. It is still charging and holding fine. Since I have been driving it more regularly I do not notice the strain like I did in the over-winter months where it sounded like the starter relay was going to click!  Last week I was driving the car to get a front end alignment and when I went out in the morning to start it, the starter spun, without engaging the flywheel. It then started. This happened two more times that day and I suspected a bad starter bendix. Sure enough, when I removed the starter from the car the bendix was easily siding back and forth, it was done. I bought a replacement starter and it spins over super easy! No drag, no sounds like its a weak battery, etc. I have since plugged the rally clock back in and no "drain like" issues at all. Not sure how but its as if the starter was a drain on the system?

Happy camper once again..
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'