1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Non-Ram Air Hood With Pie Shaped Cutouts?

(1/3) > >>

88s69Mach1:
Howdy! First time poster... I'm working on a San Jose 1969 M code Mach 1 and the hood has a weird hole cut into it. It would seem to me that if some one wanted to open up the hood for fresh air induction, you would just cut a large round hole in it. But my hood has 4 weird shaped holes in it that makes a circle. Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?  Thanks for any help!!

jwc66k:
Welcome. What does the other side look like?
Jim

88s69Mach1:
Howdy and thanks for the  reply. I haven?t taken the hood scoop off yet so not really sure. 

RoyceP:
That was a pattern cut in hoods by aftermarket folks who wanted to make the hood scoop effective on non - factory ram air cars. It is pretty typical.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 88s69Mach1 on March 31, 2024, 12:24:35 PM ---Howdy! First time poster... I'm working on a San Jose 1969 M code Mach 1 and the hood has a weird hole cut into it. It would seem to me that if some one wanted to open up the hood for fresh air induction, you would just cut a large round hole in it. But my hood has 4 weird shaped holes in it that makes a circle. Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?  Thanks for any help!!

--- End quote ---

There was a period in the fall of 69 where we find a number of hoods cut just like this on unrestored cars. If I recall at least two of the three and possibly all three plants installed them. Time periods of the cars build dates are in a similar range. When was your car completed? From your Marti report. And if possible when the hood was stamped. From the inner fram

Typically any hot rodder worth their salt would not cut four pie cuts but rather one big hole like what was done for Boss 429s. Allot easier to cut and would flow more air

Will follow up with other examples tomorrow

There is an old post on the subject but the discussion took place before we looked into it and identified a pattern rather than believing it was an all or nothing detail

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3224.msg17247#msg17247

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version