Author Topic: 1965-1966 LCA dust boot retainers  (Read 167 times)

Offline Maksim27

1965-1966 LCA dust boot retainers
« on: April 09, 2024, 02:35:48 AM »
Guys I was wondering which month did the dust boot retainers switch from flat to raised on 65-66 Mustangs?  I also previously learned that the underside flat square jacking tabs are 65 and the rounder jacking tabs are 66. 

Did the retainers and the jacking tabs change during the same time and if so, which month in 65 did the change occur. 

Here I have later service parts that I had professionally redone to look assembly line correct, but was wondering if it is truly correct as the jacking tabs have the square 65 LCA look and the raised edge retainers that I installed are 66-67 years. 

I also seen the 66 retainers have zinc chromate on NOS LCA's.  Is that correct from the Factory or were the retainers clear zinc?

In the pictures the retainer and dust boots are New aftermarket just to be clear.

The last 3 pictures are how the LCA's looked before making them appear Assembly Line.

San Jose:
Build Date: Jan 11 66
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 02:48:54 AM by Maksim27 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1965-1966 LCA dust boot retainers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 12:56:30 PM »
Guys I was wondering which month did the dust boot retainers switch from flat to raised on 65-66 Mustangs?  I also previously learned that the underside flat square jacking tabs are 65 and the rounder jacking tabs are 66. 

Did the retainers and the jacking tabs change during the same time and if so, which month in 65 did the change occur. 

Here I have later service parts that I had professionally redone to look assembly line correct, but was wondering if it is truly correct as the jacking tabs have the square 65 LCA look and the raised edge retainers that I installed are 66-67 years. 

I also seen the 66 retainers have zinc chromate on NOS LCA's.  Is that correct from the Factory or were the retainers clear zinc?

In the pictures the retainer and dust boots are New aftermarket just to be clear.

The last 3 pictures are how the LCA's looked before making them appear Assembly Line.

San Jose:
Build Date: Jan 11 66
The flat retaining plate for the boot was early 65 production before it transitioned to the raised retaining plate which was used for the majority of 65 production. I can't remember if Jeff nailed down a closer approximation from surveys or not. The plates on the assemblyline were silver zinc /clear zinc . There are various types of chromate that are used over zinc so you have to specify which one when describing . In your case I believe you mean gold chromate . That gold chromate was used on some later service parts LCA retaining plates. The squared corner style jack tab or what ever we are calling it now was used in 65 and early 66 production and then that style transitioned after approximately 1/4 of 66 production to the the style with more rounded corners along with tits on ether side. That later style was used to the end of 66 production and beyond.  Consequently your restored lower control arms with squared lower tabs are most typical for your Jan 11 66 built car IMO or at least until more compelling documentation suggests otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:26:06 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1965-1966 LCA dust boot retainers
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 02:10:43 PM »
Marcus has a good picture of the last style of jack tab used in 66 production in his suspension guide.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby