Author Topic: 69 Drive Shaft Color Stripes - M Code 4 Spd  (Read 3494 times)

Offline 69conv351

69 Drive Shaft Color Stripes - M Code 4 Spd
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »
I have a 69 M code Convertible, 4sp, 325 traction-Lok rear axle that was built in Dearborn. I hoping someone can help me out on the correct color stripes it should have. The one picture shows 4 stripes, the single stripe which is at the rear of the car appears to be green or blue, next is red, then either orange or pink and then white. The other pic is showing the middle stripe with what seems to be a letter B or 8 and a paint dab below and to the right, not sure what the letter and dab means.

Thanks for any help
Steve
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:33:19 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Drive Shaft Color Stripes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »
WHen was it built at Dearborn?

And does it have an 8 in or 9 inch rearend?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:55:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69conv351

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Appreciate the response. It was built on 4-25-69 and it has the 9inch.

Steve

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
I have a 69 M code Convertible, 4sp, 325 traction-Lok rear axle that was built in Dearborn. I hoping someone can help me out on the correct color stripes it should have. The one picture shows 4 stripes, the single stripe which is at the rear of the car appears to be green or blue, next is red, then either orange or pink and then white.

Hopefully its the same as the small block Shelby with 4 speed

From the same period at Dearborn the identification stripes were

Light Blue, Lavender, Red

The other pic is showing the middle stripe with what seems to be a letter B or 8 and a paint dab below and to the right, not sure what the letter and dab means.

Was the 8 written in white chalk or crayon and in line (as if written by the worker standing at one of the ends of the driveline)?
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69conv351

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:37:25 AM »
J_Speegle.....You said hopefully its the same as the small block Shelby with 4 speed. Why do you say hopefully, mine is not a shelby. You only mention 3 stripes mind has 4.

The 8 is not written in white chalk for sure, it's written in the same color as the stripe that it's beside. It appears to me the way the 8 is written it was put on standing along side the drive shaft. Because it's 90 degrees to the length of the drive shaft.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »
J_Speegle.....You said hopefully its the same as the small block Shelby with 4 speed. Why do you say hopefully, mine is not a shelby.

I used the term "hopefully" since I hope that since the Shelby's convertible and your car share the same body, trans and rearend the driveline should be the same length and dia - the same one. So the identification marks used by the workers to assembly your car and the Shelby would be the same if at the same plant - about the same time

You only mention 3 stripes mind has 4.

That is typical - identification marks (those used by workers to find the right part for your car) are the three stripes (in this example) the additional mark/marks were for other purposes and we don't have allot of documentation on those thousands of different thing.

The 8 is not written in white chalk for sure, it's written in the same color as the stripe that it's beside. It appears to me the way the 8 is written it was put on standing along side the drive shaft. Because it's 90 degrees to the length of the drive shaft.

Thanks for the description - that's marked differently than the others I've got pictures of or I've seen so far
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69conv351

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
So do you think the colors I mention for the stripes would be correct for my car?

Thanks, Steve

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
So do you think the colors I mention for the stripes would be correct for my car?

That is my best guess based on available information at this time

Have you tried to discover the colors on the one you have using the oven cleaner method discussed on the forum elsewhere? Just to make sure.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69conv351

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
No I haven't tried the oven cleaner method.  I'm sure of the red and the white, just not sure if the middle stripe is orange or pink (which have you seen)? The single is tuff to tell if it's green or blue, it looks green (once again which have you seen)?

J. I appreciate all of your help you have given.

Steve

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
No I haven't tried the oven cleaner method.  I'm sure of the red and the white, just not sure if the middle stripe is orange or pink (which have you seen)? The single is tuff to tell if it's green or blue, it looks green (once again which have you seen)?

Have not seen any 351 4 speed drivelines with original markings to comment

The oven cleaner method requires that you spray the paint mark that your interested in. As the lye attack the color it will bubble and expand. During this process the color will be seen but if your going to take a picture you have to work quickly. The color will be diluted but it helps sometimes for difficult to see colors where there is not allot of paint left. Where there is more color cutting or lightly sanding followed by wetting with something like wd40 helps cut through the oxidation and age to the original color
Jeff Speegle