Author Topic: Firestone Deluxe Champion 6.95x14 Whitewall Reproduction Tires  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

Firestone Deluxe Champion 6.95x14 Whitewall Reproduction Tires
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
I have been looking now for a set of Firestone Deluxe Champions for the 64 1/2 Pace car and they can't be found.  The Goodyear Power Cushion arrived a little too late and I just hate the repo US Royal tire.  I talked to Coker at length at the SEMA show about reproducing the 6.95x14 Deluxe Champion Firestone Whitewall and if I can get enough interest in it they may look into making the tire.  A lot depends on if Firestone has the original molds laying about, if not they have to reverse engineer it, which I have an NOS tire to do so if needed.  It would be a long project to get it done.

My question is, is there any interest in doing the Firestone tire, or is everyone happy with the US Royal and Power Cushion tires that are already available?

Dave

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Firestone Deluxe Champion 6.95x14 Whitewall Reproduction Tires
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
I'd like a set... I have the Coker/Goodrich tires on now which isn't correct for my car. 
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
Seeing as Firestone was the predominant tire for 65-66 mustangs, would have to say there would be some interest.  Would require some educating of owners to help them realize it's really the most period correct tire.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »
same deal with the batteries. educate the owners...........
5F09C331248

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »
I'd like a set... I have the Coker/Goodrich tires on now which isn't correct for my car.

Are the Goodrich tires wrong?

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
I need the 7.35s for my coupe.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 05:01:03 PM »
Are the Goodrich tires wrong?

They are period-correct, but not typically installed at the factory.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
Actually, when my car was returned from its use on the Magic Skyway in the late fall of 1965 it was equipped with a set of 1966 wheels and 7.35-14 5/8" Firestone whitewalls.  I have the original tires and the date coded wheels.  So in reality I need what would have been correct for a '66 Falcon...  ???
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
Is it true that some 65's were equipped with 5.60 x 15?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »
Is it true that some 65's were equipped with 5.60 x 15?

Sinc there are no record the best one could say is that there may have been a few (read very very few ;) cars delivered with 15" wheels
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
I remember seeing a picture of a red 65 hardtop with factory 15 inch wheels, and I believe it had a High Performance engine. The wheel covers were from a Galaxy and still in a box in the trunk.
After further review, Mustang Monthly, Feb 96, a 64 hardtop with 15 inch wheels.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:32:53 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »
I remember seeing a picture of a red 65 hardtop with factory 15 inch wheels, and I believe it had a High Performance engine. The wheel covers were from a Galaxy and still in a box in the trunk.

Yes saw that car at a show many years ago - plenty of discussion concerning if the car originally came with those wheels but since it was MCA and it was an advertised option I think they let it go. Believe he did have the regular 15" wheels rather than the HD ones - that might cause more focus if  done today
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »
I contacted Coker a while back and asked them why they don't have the correct U S Royal Dual Red Band 6.95.14 tires, they DO have a US Royal but its not correct.....someone there said they'd talk to Corky and get back to me, never heard anouther word, I guess they are satisfied with what they've got and didn't feel the need to contact me further.

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
I contacted Coker a while back and asked them why they don't have the correct U S Royal Dual Red Band 6.95.14 tires, they DO have a US Royal but its not correct.....someone there said they'd talk to Corky and get back to me, never heard anouther word, I guess they are satisfied with what they've got and didn't feel the need to contact me further.

Same mentality as the places that make repro Autolite batteries.  Why bother making the right part when the wrong one is selling.

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 05:58:34 PM »

They were quite open to my inquiry.  The first thing they do is go to Firestone and see if the molds still exist.  If they don't reverse engineering a tire is enormously expensive and they would need to know that the need is there, and not just a handful of guys like us when another suitable tire is available.  If the mold still exist then there is a chance we might get what we want.  They recognize that the Firstone brand is much more desireable and popular than the Royal tire - sales of the royal tire would go away (my opinion). But like any new product, there's a huge amount of money involved in getting to market and it really has to be that much better than what is already out there.

And if we stopped buying the garbage the good stuff would have a chance. 

Here's an idea - what if the MCA and SAAC Said from now on the incorrect group 24 battery is no longer any more points than a Sears Diehard cause it is wrong?  IF people stopped buying those batteries in droves how fast would we get the group 22s? - :)

Dave