Author Topic: Question RE; 67 S Code Metuchen Decals  (Read 3293 times)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
Question RE; 67 S Code Metuchen Decals
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
I have a question for Jeff Speegle RE: 67, Metuchen built, 4/17/67, S Code, Fastback decals.  I did a search and saw where Jeff suggested not installing certain decals.

1)  Master cylinder cap
2)  Oil Breather
3)  Air Cleaner Front
4)  Coil decal

My question has to do with Air Cleaner part# decal,  Geniune FoMoco replacement parts, for service instructions see service manual decal and the Autolite spark plug decal?  The latter is shaped such that I bellieve it goes on the Air Cleaner top.

Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:03:44 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Question RE; 67 Metuchen Decals
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »
I have a question for Jeff Speegle RE: 67, Metuchen built, 4/17/67, S Code, Fastback decals.  I did a search and saw where Jeff suggested not installing certain decals.

1)  Master cylinder cap
2)  Oil Breather
3)  Air Cleaner Front
4)  Coil decal

Not sure why I included the master cylinder decal - unless it was a specific one (in the other post) like a later version or it may have been the specific car being asked about didn't get one due to the type of system on that car. If yours is a power disk car as I would expect then the warning for the "new" fluid decal would have been there applied after the unit had been painted semi-gloss black

Oil breather and the FRONT decals - don't believe we've seen original examples for a car like yours to support applying those. Can always add them later if documentation shows up but in this way you would not be leading others who will see your car down the same path until there is support

Coils never had decals instead it was an ink stamp (the decal has an incorrect date on it for your car also) so getting it ink stamped is more correct and will not cost points at shows

My question has to do with Air Cleaner part# decal,  Geniune FoMoco replacement parts, for service instructions see service manual decal and the Autolite spark plug decal?  The latter is shaped such that I bellieve it goes on the Air Cleaner top.

Did you purchase a "kit" of decals or individual ones?

Also - since most of the ones your asking about are on the air cleaner I need to ask which air cleaner are you using? Think there are at least three or four different ones used.

The challenge is finding good original examples to determine what the practice was as for location and which decals were use. At the least we should be able to help with a "best guess" sort of idea at this moment. Not allot of low mileage 67 S codes out there that have not had at least the air cleaner "freshed up" :(

All of us here will help out as much as possible
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
Not sure why I included the master cylinder decal - unless it was a specific one (in the other post) like a later version or it may have been the specific car being asked about didn't get one due to the type of system on that car. If yours is a power disk car as I would expect then the warning for the "new" fluid decal would have been there applied after the unit had been painted semi-gloss black

Thanks Jeff for the reponse.  Yes, mine is a disc brake car and has been painted the correct black.

Coils never had decals instead it was an ink stamp (the decal has an incorrect date on it for your car also) so getting it ink stamped is more correct and will not cost points at shows

I used to have a source for the ink stamp, but sadly he passed away a number of years ago.  So I am going to leave it blank.

Did you purchase a "kit" of decals or individual ones?

Yes, I purchased a kit, that is why all the various decals.

Also - since most of the ones your asking about are on the air cleaner I need to ask which air cleaner are you using? Think there are at least three or four different ones used.

We had previously discussed my Air Cleaner and we weren't sure if it was correct or not and decided it might be?  It is the Calif smog style, but the car was sold originally in Florida.  This is a Non-GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »
As for the service decal that attaches to the drivers side shock tower its fairly straight forward and we have a fair number of original examples from around your car's VIN and they all seem to fit a similar pattern so likely the same worker on most of these examples (have additional to these)

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 07:26:20 PM »
Thanks Jeff for the response.  Yes, mine is a disc brake car and has been painted the correct black.

OK then look for the decal that list  C6AZ-15542-A as the correct fluid on the decal

Yes, I purchased a kit, that is why all the various decals

Going to have plenty of left over/extra decals then :(  Might end up buying some individual ones then

We had previously discussed my Air Cleaner and we weren't sure if it was correct or not and decided it might be?  It is the Calif smog style, but the car was sold originally in Florida.  This is a Non-GT

Been allot of discussion about which one is correct for what model and what DSO so I don't want to get off track but at least now I understand that you are using the one with the snorkel and possibly the return hose to the drivers side breather cap.

With that and being a later car (April built) I would offer the following

The base was the same as T-birds that year so we can look to some of those for decal placement

For the filter part number decal there are two versions out there. The little decal that just lists the part number for the filter and a larger 68 style version that some believe was used on late 67 S codes. I don't have any examples of original cars with the later larger version but I do have an example of a NOS base with the smaller decal on the snorkel

The other location we've seen this small decal is on the face of the base between where the snorkel and breather hose attachment would be. This has been on small block air cleaners but its believed that they were made by the same suppliers so the guys that put on the decals (if attached) were likely the same guys

Have never seen the FoMoCo replacement parts decal on a 67 390 so I would leave that one off on your application

As far as the AUTOLITE spark plug decal I'm unsure. If you install the rounded version on the lid I doubt if anyone would deduct for it but not sure if it was every put there. Reason is that I've got allot of pictures with original decals on the lid (cubic inches) while none of those have the AUTOLITE decal to the rear. This is all engine sizes in 67.  One would think that if they had been applied one would have least left some residue if the other one survived. With that said I have a fair number of examples where the rectangle decal (likely the AUTOLITE spark plug decal)  looks to have been applied to the drivers side of the air cleaner base - in the case of S codes - to the rear of the drivers side cut out on non- Thermactor cars. These also show up in about the same location on small block cars.

Hope this was not too much information but just wanted to include you in the thought process as well as the meager findings so that you can reach a decision

Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 01:32:37 AM »
If your looking to get your coil stamped pm me and I will pass along a gentleman from the CJ forum who did mine.

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »
68 S Code-Thanks for the offer, I'll keep in mind.

Jeff, the MC decal I have is a C6AZ19542-A, so I am going to leave it off for now.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
Jeff, the MC decal I have is a C6AZ19542-A, so I am going to leave it off for now.

CORRECTION

Yes that would be the early version of the decal your car (April) would likely have used the other version that is being reproduced

Thanks Tim for reminding me :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:20:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline sparky65

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »
As for the service decal that attaches to the drivers side shock tower its fairly straight forward and we have a fair number of original examples from around your car's VIN and they all seem to fit a similar pattern so likely the same worker on most of these examples (have additional to these)

Interesting that you bring this up.  I was just looking at my service decal and it seems to be upside down.  Although my car was built in October of 66 so maybe some one else on the line slapping stickers on.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:41:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:43:32 PM »
Interesting that you bring this up.  I was just looking at my service decal and it seems to be upside down.  Although my car was built in October of 66 so maybe some one else on the line slapping stickers on.

Might be same worker, given the orientation, he just didn't check the printing that time ;)

Have seen a few from NJ 66-67 just like yours
Jeff Speegle