Author Topic: Console Wiring Label -  (Read 2120 times)

Offline jwc66k

Console Wiring Label -
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
I needed a lable for a 65-66 full length console main wiring harness so I carefully removed one from an extra harness, scanned it, "fixed" it in some software I have and made a label.
The first picture is my original scan with a ruler for scale. It shows the label color as tan.
The second picture is my reproduction of the strip. I made the reproduction long enough to cut an appropiate length with enough length to cut a second if necessary. For reference, the label width is one inch. The length is a combination of five of the lines of the part number and/or FoMoCo logo, about 1 3/4 inches long. To get the look of a jagged tape dispenser end as from the factory, I used a 3M Scotch tape dispenser, however you may have to "cut" across half the label then repeat as all the tape dispensers I have are 3/4 inch wide. I used contact cement to attach the label to the harness, about 4 inches from the end of the bullet connectors that go to the rear mounted courtesy light assembly, so that it goes around the harness but end up looking like a flag.
Feel free to use the second picture if you want or need a label.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rodster

Re: Console Wiring Label -
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
Amazing attention to detail!   ;)  Very nice and thanks for sharing your work and information.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
Nothing is firm-fixed from Ford, I just found another style of tag for the 65-66 console main harness, a red marker about 1/2 inch wide and 3/4 inch long with the part number "C5ZB" (line one, large font), "13B711-A" (second line, smaller font - Note, no "dash" between lines) and "FoMoCo" script logo in an oval with a tiny circle "R" trademark in the lower right. It appears to be a tape (think 3M Scotch) vs paper. I think that may be a later version by the logo. The source of the harness (year, month, plant) is unknown. When I get my camera back from my kid, I'll take some pictures.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »
Looms - especially smaller ones - were often assembled by different sub contractors so this may be the reason for many small differences. One often seen it how the end of the tape was secured. Compared a group of looms from the same year once and I found four different ways of securing the ends.

In another example (of why things are the way they were) during a family vacation and traveling across Nevada (late 60's) we stopped for gas out in the middle of no where. Since dad was a car guy he struck up a conversation with the station owner and discovered that the family was assembling power seat wire looms for some company that provided them for Ford. Only recall a wood sort of frame that held connectors in place as they strung and attached connectors
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
Looms - especially smaller ones - were often assembled by different sub contractors so this may be the reason for many small differences. One often seen it how the end of the tape was secured. Compared a group of looms from the same year once and I found four different ways of securing the ends.

In another example (of why things are the way they were) during a family vacation and traveling across Nevada (late 60's) we stopped for gas out in the middle of no where. Since dad was a car guy he struck up a conversation with the station owner and discovered that the family was assembling power seat wire looms for some company that provided them for Ford. Only recall a wood sort of frame that held connectors in place as they strung and attached connectors
You are correct about the ends, I've seen differences when I played QA on cable assemblies we were making for an Air Force project, all acceptable, just different people.
What I was referring to was the difference in the Ford logos on the console lables, from a FoMoCo in a rectangle (see first post in thread) to a Ford script in an oval as shown here. The question is a general one, what date (or a period of time) did the logos change? And can this change date be used to further identify a correctly applied part? I note that Ford went from FoMoCo to Autolite to Motorcraft on many part markings, such as distributors.
Jim 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:32:25 PM »
You are correct about the ends, I've seen differences when I played QA on cable assemblies we were making for an Air Force project, all acceptable, just different people.
What I was referring to was the difference in the Ford logos on the console labels, from a FoMoCo in a rectangle (see first post in thread) to a Ford script in an oval as shown here. The question is a general one, what date (or a period of time) did the logos change? And can this change date be used to further identify a correctly applied part? .............

Hmm something I've not studied at this point but if there is a identifiable clear change point then yes that could be used (just like other details) to date a part or if it might be correct for a given car.

Have plenty of wiring around - just have to find time to look and make some notes.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)