Author Topic: Convertible top frame bushing kits NOW available  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Raven

Convertible top frame bushing kits NOW available
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:48:55 AM »
New convertible top parts

Hi All

I have had new bushes CNC machined to suite 64.5 to 68 top frames and have some kits available. They have been fitted to my own car 67 and a kit sold to gentleman with a 65.

The kits will have the following from left to right

1 lower cylinder bushing (4)
 2 Hook pin pivot bushing (4)
 3 Bow 2 bushing (2)
 4 Main accentric pin bushing (2)
 5 Bow 4 clevis pin bushing (2)
 6 Bow 3 clevis pin bushing (2)
 7 Balance link lower end clevis pin bushing (2)
 8 Main pivot base bushing (4)
 9 Main conecting bolt bushing (2)
 10 Main hinge bushing (brass 1966-1968) and (nylon for early 1965-1966)(not shown) (4)
 11 Upper cylinder bushing kit(not shown) (4)

The kit includes all the removable bushes for a complete top (both sides) and install guide. The total number of bushes in the kit is 32. The kits are selling for $265 AU. If interested please send U2U.

Regards
Dino
Sydney Australia

67 A code GTA Convertible San Jose build
67 K code GT Fastback Dearborn build

Offline Oz390

Re: Convertible top frame bushing kits NOW available
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:21:57 AM »
He's done a great job.

He's been restoring his frame and top and I provided a few tips, but he's gone to the effort to get the CNC data to replicate all the bushings, even the tiny ones on the latch. I had mine redone, but as a one-off by the machinist at my shop. He's gone the extra to document and fabricate sets.

Not cheap, but all made-to-order, not bulk. I test fit on an early '65, '65-'66 (gave him info on the bow #2 changes from eccentric to slot bolt, so two varaints of the set for the change), late '67 and a '68 frames and while not "perfect", and some needed light "convincing" on 40 year old parts, all worked really well on my test jig on the various frames I have.

He was generous enough to donate the set to me for testing in return for my info on convertible tops.

Based on the results, I bought two more for the "spare" frames I have as they are so good. While many of the old bushes are "ok", but show cracking/wear, I figured I'd replace them so the restoration of the frames is complete.

Only source I've seen for these parts, and I was really impressed with them.

If you have a frame apart, with typical damaged bushes, I highly recommend considering these to do it right.... as I have never seen an NOS set...
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline Raven

67 A code GTA Convertible San Jose build
67 K code GT Fastback Dearborn build