Author Topic: 67 Inboard Headlight Trim Rings  (Read 2626 times)

Offline ceswert

• Silver Level Subscriber
67 Inboard Headlight Trim Rings
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »
On early GT350's were the inboard headlight trim rings colored keyed to body paint just as headlight rings?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:12:55 PM by J_Speegle »
67' Shelby GT 350 nm blue/4sp/#0089
07' Shelby Super Snake 725hp/white/#0073
71' Mach 1 429cj grabber blue/4 sp./ac

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Inboard Headlight Trim Rings
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:22:15 PM »
On early GT350's were the inboard headlight trim rings colored keyed to body paint just as headlight rings?
No,the first ones were black and then transitioned to chrome with painted fender rings and then transitioned to all chrome.Unfortunatly SA didn't keep records for these changes and it has become a guess when the occurred.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ceswert

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
Thanks Bob. As I am restoring my car, would it be appropriate to use the colored and painted rings instead of chrome like I have now. Frankly, I don't know if my current chrome rings are original.  Like you stated it is hard to determine when this changeover took place.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:49 AM »
Thanks Bob. As I am restoring my car, would it be appropriate to use the colored and painted rings instead of chrome like I have now. Frankly, I don't know if my current chrome rings are original.  Like you stated it is hard to determine when this changeover took place.
Your VIN and completion date at SA will give a clues. Let me know what Shelby VIN and when was it completed a Shelby to give a opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
Your VIN and completion date at SA will give a clues. Let me know what Shelby VIN and when was it completed a Shelby to give a opinion.

#89 - looks to have been released 11/6

Back to work on the sheets ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:45:36 PM »
#89 - looks to have been released 11/6

Back to work on the sheets ;)
Yeah whada ya doin? Get back to those sheets :D (SAAC concours sheets revisions). We're out here answer questions so you can do the heavy lifting organizing the sheets . I would much rather answer questions. #89 would most likely have the center rings painted black and body color fender rings.

Offline ceswert

Re: 67 Inboard Headlight Trim Rings
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
Thanks very much guys. By the way, I just purchased an original GT350 fan shroud with all of the connecting hardware. Got lucky on that one. Also found an unused dash pad. It is a reproduction made by CA Mustang or something like that. It's 15 years old. It has the FoMoCo part number on it. The color and grain match nicely. Jim Cowles is working on my rear valance. He is cutting out the tailpipe holes and attaching the chrome bezels. The parts are all original. I have all of the original dash, brushed aluminum parts except for the smallish center strip. It is really coming together! Thanks for all of your help!!   

Offline roddster

Re: 67 Inboard Headlight Trim Rings
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 01:49:17 AM »
Remember, it's easier to paint over chrome, than to chrome over paint.   In other words, you can paint your current chrome ones.