Author Topic: Some Thoughts On Saab By Jay -  (Read 1739 times)

Offline jwc66k

Some Thoughts On Saab By Jay -
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
Go to the link for the picture of Jay Leno plus more -
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/jay-leno/vintage/long-live-saab-jay-leno-remembers-the-quirky-carmaker-9989519?click=pp
Jim

Long Live Saab! Jay Leno Remembers the Quirky Carmaker

Yet another company is trying to pick Saab up off the scrap heap and revive the marque. But the Saab that Jay Leno knew and loved is gone. Here's why it's worth celebrating the achievements of this weird but innovative automaker.

By Jay Leno

A handy bracket holds a spare can of two-stroke oil.

July 30, 2012 6:30 AM

Somewhere over in Sweden there's a Dumpster full of Saab letterhead, employee ID badges, and day planners. There are guys going through what once were Saab's offices, hanging auction tags on the furniture, computers, printers, and water coolers.

Saab went bankrupt in December 2011; in June, a company called National Electric Vehicle Sweden AN (NEVS) announced it would buy the marque, reportedly to make electric vehicles bearing the venerable name. NEVS is owned 51/49 by Chinese and Japanese interests, respectively, and China is the initial target market for the next generation of Saabs. But the Saab I knew and loved is gone, and I miss it.

When I was a kid, Saabs were unique. I first rode in one while I was in high school. A friend's mother had an old model with a two-stroke engine and a differential incorporating a freewheel hub system like the one on a 10-speed bicycle. It didn't go fast, but when my friend's mom took her foot off the accelerator pedal, there was no compression braking. The car just kept rolling along. I was fascinated.

Saabs were front-drivers when every American car had rear drive. Their two-stroke, three-cylinder engines sounded like popcorn machines—poppoppoppaaawwwp!—while other cars were muffled into silence. The first Saab car, the 1950 model 92, was built around an aerodynamically slick unibody. It rode on an all-independent torsion bar suspension and used something called rack-and-pinion steering. It was impossible to over-rev a Saab's engine because it ran out of power before the redline. So you just threw your boot at the gas pedal and shifted up until there was evidence of forward momentum. All that unconventional engineering led to good fuel economy: Saabs got better than 25 mpg.

In the '50s and '60s, owning a Saab meant more than having an odd car in your garage; it was a lifestyle choice. With that two-stroke engine, you had to premix your gas and oil. So you trudged to the gas station with two 5-gallon cans, filled them up most of the way with gasoline, and then topped them off with oil at a 50:1 ratio. After a shaking to mix them up—and remember, gas weighs more than 6 pounds a gallon—you could fill the Saab's fuel tank. But there was never any oil sump to drain and virtually no other routine engine maintenance. Under the hood a clamp held an extra quart of premix oil.

On cold mornings, if you wanted to warm up a Saab's engine more quickly, you pulled a chain dangling from the dashboard to lower a "shade" that blocked airflow to the radiator. Naturally, the cabin heater was phenomenal.

My Saab is a 1958 model 93B. It doesn't have the key on the floor like later Saabs, but this was the first year for the one-piece front windshield, and the doors are hinged at the back, suicide style. With a 750-cc engine making about 33 hp, it's not fast. But you can go 70 mph down the road with four people in it. It has cruise control too; just put your foot to the floor and keep it there.

To me, however, my Saab's most fascinating detail is the water pump that's located on the back end of the generator. The Swedes could made it work, but imagine if a British car company had tried this. At best it would have functioned correctly; at worst it would have electrocuted anyone who touched it.

Beyond their engineering idiosyncrasies, though, Saabs were effective. The company was building rigid, lightweight, and aerodynamic cars when other manufacturers ignored these considerations in their engineering. A Saab didn't look or drive like anything else on the road, and it attracted buyers to match.

It seemed for a while that every time a professor at a college in New England was awarded tenure, he or she got a Saab to go along with it. Intellectuals, eccentrics, and other free-minded, countercultural types seemed to adopt Saabs almost instinctively. The author Kurt Vonnegut even owned a Saab dealership—Saab Cape Cod—in the late '50s.

When Saab switched to Ford-sourced four-stroke V-4 engines in 1967, the brand lost some of its charm for me. Of course, Saab did some innovative things after that. The 1978 Saab 99 Turbo ushered in a new era of efficiency, and the later 900 Turbo was sophisticated. Then GM bought Saab, intending to turn it into a BMW competitor. Suddenly there were Saabs that were Subarus with new badges or Chevy TrailBlazers with their ignition key on the floor. Without quirkiness, Saab became just another car.
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MWM

Re: Some Thoughts On Saab By Jay -
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »
Great post!  Thanks for sharing.  My daily driver is Fjord 900 (1991 Saab 900 Turbo) with over 300,000 miles.  It has been my faithful mustang parts hauler for oever eighteen years.  I have hauled all kinds of parts for my mustang restoration - doors, fenders, engine and transmission. All in the back of the hatchback with the A/C blasting.  No I'm not a college professor, but I like the title Jay used, "Quirky".

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
It sure is sad to see SAAB go down. The swedish government refused fo save the company by using tax payer money
like some others did much closer to home. In 1964, A friend in Sweden owned a green SAAB 93 which we used to pick up
girls with but it was much to small inside to be of any use for fun. I was 16 at the time and we listened to Roy Orbison's
Pretty Woman. We called the car the cucumber end (gurksnutten in swedish) because it looked exactly like one.
SAAB still produces fighter jets though but the swedish military is reduced to basically nothing exept all the generals and
defense department employees are still there, go figure.
This bancruptcy is a disaster for the small town of Trollhättan in Sweden as there are no other jobs available.
Texas Swede

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:29:13 AM »
I met Jay in 1995 in Las Vegas and we talked (about Tim Allen and cars) .    I told him to tell Tim to visit me when close by.  He said " what about me - I like cars"

I said I know - I have one you may like (1967 Saab Sonett II)   He said "they didn't make too many of those"   I said you are right (he REALLY knows alot about cars) , they made 258.    It was funny , we were just talking and talking (and holding up the line/photographer)  just a regular guy !

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969