Author Topic: Correct woodgrain (Light or Dark) for my Jan 69 '69 GT  (Read 1436 times)

Offline 69mustanggt

Correct woodgrain (Light or Dark) for my Jan 69 '69 GT
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
My car has a trim code of 5WA and was built 01/09/69 at Dearborn.  I know the 5W means "White Clarion Knit Vinyl Decor Bucket Seats" according to the Marti report.  But what I don't know is if car should have teak or walnut.  I have seen a thread discussing the meaning of the "A" versus the "AA" after the trim code -- but the thread still leaves me guessing.  The PO of my car did some "work" on the interior so I cannot use anything that is on the car as a reference.  I am trying to get the car back to as close to original as I can.   Regardless of the interior (walnut/teak) I know I will be replacing the instrument bezel for sure since it is from a '70 car.  How much I need to replace will depend on input I receive.

BTW -- first post so I hope I picked the right spot to ask this.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 06:37:19 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct interior for '69 GT
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
My car has a trim code of 5WA and was built 01/09/69 at Dearborn.  I know the 5W means "White Clarion Knit Vinyl Decor Bucket Seats" according to the Marti report.  But what I don't know is if car should have teak or walnut. ....................

Given your cars date and the other info I believe your car would have come with the darker wood. Have other examples from the same time period (with in a day or two of your car) and single A coding that were originally walnut

BTW -- first post so I hope I picked the right spot to ask this.

Perfect. As a guide we look to see if the information is specific to one year of car or multiple (ex 65-68)  If its year specific then we like to see it in the 65-66, 67-68, 69-70....... sections - if it applies across a number of these sections then in the related area such as body, interior ....... sections

Welcome - hope you find the site useful in your restoration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
I have the 3A interior and the wood is the lighter Teak.  A difference between GT and Mach 1 ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 69mustanggt

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I am hoping the difference is in build dates -- looking at your sig block your car was built in late '68 mine in early '69.  The date may be the difference not so much Mach 1 or GT.  At least I hope, <fingers crossed>, since picking up an instrument bezel in Walnut will be cheaper than trying to pick one up in Teak.  People on "Flea-Bay" think those things are made of solid gold.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
I have the 3A interior and the wood is the lighter Teak.  A difference between GT and Mach 1 ?  Brian

I'm not one that subscribes to the code being related to the color of the wood used - but instead was relying on the build date to indicate the change.

Don't believe there was a difference in the tone of the wood based on GT / non GT/ Mach I  package but rather a supplier thing 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)