Author Topic: Spark plug wires  (Read 2959 times)

Offline V8_bloke_28

Spark plug wires
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
Hi, I have a 67 fastback gta 390 auto San Jose mustang.
I was after some info on the type of spark plug wires, eg: thickness, colour etc.
Where do most people go to get the right length for the engine?
Cheers

Offline jwc66k

Re: Spark plug wires
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »
You sound like someone in a country far, far away so your question may be one of where to get materials. A specification is difficult to get for classic cars because of the switch to metric sizes and a different type of ignition and those have been made obsolete. However, get a couple of Mustang aftermarket catalogs. They usually have what you are looking for.
National Parts Depot - http://www.npdlink.com/
Virginia Classic Mustang - http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Dudley

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »
If you want concourse repos, try Kevin Marti. My stang was running rough this year, got a set from him. I finally had to retire my original factory set of wires, his matched the originals perfectly, the only difference was one wire needs to be about two inches longer to be able to be held in the origianl wire clips located on the valve cover. I got them date coded to '68. My originals were a mixed set of 1Q & 2Q probably packed during the transition period between the quarters, the repos were all 2Q.

At least I am glad that I still have the originals if I want to reinstall on the engine for judging events.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:32:32 AM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline V8_bloke_28

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »
What colour and size wires are genuine for a 67 gta 390 with air con, power steer built in San Jose?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
I would think that the wires themselves would be black, but I'm no expert on '67 "S" code engines.
You should contact Marti Auto works (Kevin) for a real nice set of concours correct wires.

www.martiautoworks.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 01:14:58 AM »
What colour and size wires are genuine for a 67 gta 390 with air con, power steer built in San Jose?
Early had no date on wire later ones in 67 did. Most had printing in white but could be yellow ,blue or even green as well. Typically black boots with number 6 plug orange boot.  That was the way they were layed out when delivered to assemblyline before being attached to dist cap. Later that year wires came to assemblyline already attached to cap.  Transitioned to all orange boots later in the year. PI engine in 67 GT 500 typically received all orange boots which at that time signified "for a High Output engine".
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby