Author Topic: 1970 Mach I rocker moldings  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Briannstacey

1970 Mach I rocker moldings
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
I removed the rocker moldings many, many, many years ago and I am preparing to put them back on. I am still trying to figure out the best way to do so. But I am having a hard time figuring out where the L or U shaped pieces of plastic that are the same length as the door panels go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Offline rayms69

Re: 1970 Mach I rocker moldings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
The L plastic piece(see previous post titled '1970 mach1 doorsill'). Plastic should show wear marks where it slides between rocker and mounding, I will have to look at my pics to see if it goes towards inside or outside. I need a passenger side piece, mine was missing when I pulled it apart. Drivers side was intact and I might have a pic.
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto

Offline 1970 Snake

1970 Mach1 Rocker Moldings
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:03:19 PM »
Need a little help regarding the mounting of the lower (long) rocker molding on my 70 Mach1. The molding is attached to a metal snap-in strip at the top and screws hold in the bottom. On the back of the metal snap-in strip there are none metallic pieces that keep the mounting strip isolated (metal to paint) from the rocker panel when pop riveted on (pic 6847). My question is, do these none metallic pieces hide under the rocker molding (pic 6845) when mounted or do they also act as an isolator between the body paint and the rocker molding (pic 6846)?
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline rayms69

Re: 1970 Mach1 Rocker Moldings
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
With the plastic filler piece installed, i dont see it. But with it removed, the rocker moulding doesnt make contact with the paint. When installing, the moulding could possibly scratch the paint. IMO they were placed there for paint protection when installing the moulding. It snaps in rather harshly.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:29:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply. One of the few pictures I have of my original moldings on the car before disassembly does not show the paint protectors between the rocker and the molding trim. My car did not have the black plastic strip to cover them like yours it was a Sept 4, 1969 Dearborn built car. The rocker molding trim was not removed when the car was painted green in the late 70's as this is validated in other pictures I have during disassembly, so my assumption is the protection pieces where snapped under the rocker molding during install so you would not see them. Would appreciate hearing from others, thanks again.

Offline rayms69

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
good luck

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 04:11:40 AM »
I was hoping to hear more on this topic, from others, as I would like this to be correct, any comments from judges ??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
I've got no close ups of the area showing the arrangement for the early mounting. Pictures from the later versions with the lip protector strip will not help that I have.

It does appear that the pad would service as an anti-rattle or protector between the molding and the body much as the later strip did.

Guessing (not sure if you checked) that the assembly manual page published would reflect your cars build date
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:02:12 AM »
Thanks Jeff, as you can see from my pictures originally from the factory my car did not have the plastic blackout strip, yet you can't see any of the anti-rattle protectors visible. The pictures of my restored installation clearly show what it looks like with them between the rocker and the molding and not between. I prefer the look not between, much cleaner looking, meaning they will have to be tucked under the molding. To do that though I am going to have to put something between them and the rocker sheet metal/paint so they will tuck inside the molding else the molding will almost always push them out and visible. The bad part about installing the lower molding the wrong way and then having to redo it is, I have to remove the short rocker molding on the rear quarter that is mounted above it first, and with the interior installed that will be a real problem. So without any clear evidence as to how the installation was done at Dearborn in Sept 1969, guess I am going to be left with my own decision????????? what do I do, expose or not.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:10:47 AM by 1970 Snake »

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
Just curious why you think your car didn't have the plastic originally? Since it has been repainted it seems like it could have been removed and never put back.
This is how my unrestored November Dearborn looks:
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline rayms69

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
The plastic strips are not very prominent

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and pictures, how are the long plastic blackout strips attached to the rocker?? Do they just pull out?? I know that my rocker moldings where not remove during the repaint because during disassembly it was evident that they had not been removed because the calypso coral paint was still under them not green repaint. Additionally if they just pull out then the plastic anti rattle strips behind each pop rivet point on the attachment rail would show between the molding and the rocker and again as you can see from my pre-disassembly picture they do not show, un-like in the restoration pic.

Offline rayms69

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
They press into the gap, i would loosen the rocker first rather than just pulling it out. Pop rocker molding off removing both at the same time

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
I hate to belabor this topic, but my whole reason for posting it was to find out whether the individual non-metallic protectors behind each of the eight pop rivets on the molding attachment bracket should show between the rocker molding and the rocker body panel or not. In other discussions on the black out topic I have seen that the door sill black out could have been a black plastic strip, black out paint, or even black tape depending on the plant and date of the build. I have yet to get a clear response regarding the showing or not of the individual protector pieces behind each pop rivet mount when the black out on the door sill is painted. In the case of the long plastic black out strip like your car, it would definitely have covered the individual pieces. But as indicated my car did not have the long black plastic strip when I got the car and the reason I ask how it would be attached and can it just be pulled out is that maybe mine where just pulled out during the repaint. If this was the case then the individual pieces behind each of the eight pop rivets would show between the molding and the rocker panel as in one of my calypso coral pictures. But again as visible in my pre-disassembly posted green color picture they do not show so my assumption is they where tucked under the molding at Dearborn. I am just trying to understand if this is correct, because it is not easy to get these tucked under the molding without putting something between them and the rocker panel. Additionally once I do this it will be very difficult to change because of the rear quarter rocker molding above it having to be removed again along with a number of interior parts.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:01:54 AM by 1970 Snake »

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 06:51:44 PM »
I hate to belabor this topic, but my whole reason for posting it was to find out whether the individual non-metallic protectors behind each of the eight pop rivets on the molding attachment bracket should show between the rocker molding and the rocker body panel or not.
Well for mine, I think it is certain that the answer is "not."
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is