Author Topic: Steering Columns  (Read 2198 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Steering Columns
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
I was hoping someone could provide me with some clarification on the following:
In the July edition of Mustangs Monthly, in the section on the Top 10 modern mods there is a part on steering wheel columns (p27). In that section there is a brief comment: "...on short-shaft steering boxes mid-'67 and up".....
Would that 'mid-67' period refer to the phase in of the 68 model or possibly some time earlier? The reason I ask is that I have a SJ 67 fastback, manufactured 12 July 67 (power steering) and it has a short shaft (collapsible) steering column and steering box with a rag joint. I have always thought it to be a later addition but it has been installed very well into the 67 and doesn't look like a retro-fit.
Could it be an original set-up or am I dreaming?
Brad.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Steering Columns
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
My observation is that the short shaft steering gear boxes were used right off the bat in 67 when a tilt steering column was ordered.  Otherwise, the long 65-66 type was utilized.  At some point (others will most likely shed light on this..."mid 67") the long shaft versions were phased out and everything was short.  This was before the 1968 job one date. Also, there was no (per my understanding) collapsible column in 67 - those were one of the changes introduced in 1968.

With your date, I would think that a short shaft, but non-collapsible column, would be correct.  Are you certain that yours is collapsible?  Pictures might help.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:28:39 AM »
Didn't we just discuss this in a thread in the 67-68 section. Think the new discovery was that the change was related to the engine size for the non-tilt style. Don't think the discussion included the tilt  but agree never recall seeing a tilt solid shaft in a Mustang;)

The 67 steering column was not a collapsible one since it had a single shaft above the rag joint
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:54:51 AM »
Thanks, my terminology might be a bit 'off'. My understanding was that the long shaft was non collapsible and that the short shft's were collapsible.

I think it would be more correct to describe my car as a short shafted column as it is a non-tilt car.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
Brad, from what I have seen in my personal cars and others, I believe that a car with your build date should have the 'Short Shaft' Column. Also agreeing with the others it should be a Non-Collapsible type column.

It does appear that your steering box was most likely replaced at some point over the years as the date code of [7L22] is November 22, 1967. To late to be factory installed for your build date but it is very common to find a replacement box in these cars after 45+ years of being on the road.

On a side note: The Non-Tilt Away Short Shaft steering column-box was originally introduced in the 1967 Mercury Cougar which used the same steering column-box arrangement as Mustang. None of the 1967 Cougars had a 'Long Shaft' steering box. Why the short shaft was not used until later in the 67 Mustang Model Year Run I do not know.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs