Author Topic: Dim Rally-Pac lights  (Read 1214 times)

Offline skinner36

Dim Rally-Pac lights
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »
I have a 1965 mustang with a rally pac. The lights are very dim in the clock and tacho, even when the brightness setting is turned to full. Is the fix for this something as simple as getting brighter globes?\
Any suggestions what the problem might be?

Thanks,

John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Dim Rally-Pac lights
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
Things IMHO to check

1- Do you have a strong/good ground?

2- Do you have the correct bulb?

3- Lastly you might increase the reflectiveness of the inside of the case so that more of the light gets reflected to the face

Just the process I would go through  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:57:16 PM »
Add to Jeff's list:
With the ignition switch off, unplug the bulb leads and run a jumper from a hot spot on the fuse panel to the bulb feed leads. If the bulb is brighter, your dimmer circuit is the problem. If not, it's the ground, or you got the maximum voltage available to light the bulbs.
A solution is to unplug the triple connector blue-red wire for the Rally-Pac lights from the blue-red wire triple connector behind the instrument panel and plug it into the black-red triple that feeds the radio and back-up lights. It is fused and switched so your Rally Pac lights should be brighter but cannot be dimmed.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »

A solution is to unplug the triple connector blue-red wire for the Rally-Pac lights from the blue-red wire triple connector behind the instrument panel and plug it into the black-red triple that feeds the radio and back-up lights. It is fused and switched so your Rally Pac lights should be brighter but cannot be dimmed.
Jim
True, but the lights will be on whenever the key is in ACC or RUN position, day or night.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
True, but the lights will be on whenever the key is in ACC or RUN position, day or night.
That's the price you pay for bright lights. Or you could replace that 48 years old headlight switch (which is what I'm going to do real soon on two of my three) and get a better variable resistor to control the dim-able lights.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.