Author Topic: Zerk fittings  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Chris

Zerk fittings
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »
I thought that there were no zerk fittings on factory original steering and suspension parts for 65 V8 cars. Looking at the assembly manual for suspension systems for V8 (the Osborn reproduction manual), it's showing a 90-degree zerk fitting for the upper control arm. Is this correct? The other parts (lower control arm, idler arm, tie rods) don't show the fitting.

Can anyone confirm what did and did not have a zerk fitting for 65 V8 suspension and steering parts from the factory?
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Online jwc66k

Re: Zerk fittings
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:56:31 PM »
Nice catch on the drawing. I never noticed that detail. All the factory upper A-arms I've replaced had a plug, no fitting. It may have been an early application, or engineering requirement that was not used. Ford did tout their low service of cars in that era as a marketing ploy, hence the plug.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »
 arm inner bushings didn't even have a hole to put a zert in. Maybe someone along the line (possibly an engineer) though tit might be a good idea and it ended up on a drawing somewhere. It's possible that the drawing you see today was replaced with a drawing without the zert the following day - that's why we have the drawings we do have and all the revision dates  as many were replacing another drawing that was off or something changed

+1  no zerts on factory line ones
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
So factory upper control arms would not have a round cut out to expose a zerk fitting but instead is completely covered at the top? All reproductions and Ford replacement parts I'm seeing have the cut out for the zerk fitting, so even if you remove the fitting and plug the spot where it was, the surrounding metal housing would not be correct, right?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »
So factory upper control arms would not have a round cut out to expose a zerk fitting but instead is completely covered at the top? All reproductions and Ford replacement parts I'm seeing have the cut out for the zerk fitting, so even if you remove the fitting and plug the spot where it was, the surrounding metal housing would not be correct, right?

We departed each other using the printed word :(   I saw upper A arm in your first post and thought - inner bushing zerts not ball joint zerts :(

Yes all of the original upper A arms at the ball joint end would ahve had the cut out for access to the top of the ball joint where the hole for a zert plug could be accessed ;)

Think we're on the same page now
Jeff Speegle

Online jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »
I was referring to the upper A arm shaft end caps that have a plug in the tapped hole. There is a right angle adapter kit made to grease the shaft while in the car. I've not used them, has anyone had any experience with the kit? The upper ball joint has a Zerk fitting (named after the inventor) that sticks out thru a hole on the left hand side of the hump for the ball joint. It is a straight fitting.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »
I was referring to the upper A arm shaft end caps that have a plug in the tapped hole. There is a right angle adapter kit made to grease the shaft while in the car. I've not used them, has anyone had any experience with the kit? .......

Yes tried them - pain in the butt to get them started without cross threading in such a tight spot.  But better than taking out the torch and cutting holes in the shock towers as so many owners have done over the years.

Guess I would almost rather remove the shock and spring and just tilt out the upper to get a regular fitting on them

But then I don't always do things the easy way  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
     If this is what the conversation is about ?  I put the right angle zerks on my car some time back.  The original plug was not a flush plug but instead stuck out about 1/8" and was a six sided affair.  Relying on memory here.  I probably still have the OE plugs and the zerk size around here somewhere.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
I was trying to get clarity on what suspension parts had zerk fittings from the factory. From the discussion is sounds like only upper control arms had zerk fittings from the factory.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
........From the discussion is sounds like only upper control arms had zerk fittings from the factory.

I think what we're reporting is that from the factory there were holes for zert fittings though only plugs were installed in them from the factory. Early upper a arm inner bushing ends had no holes for the adding of zerts and nor plugs for that reason.

Original examples are shown below.

Next step I guess would be to figure out if your cars assembly period was within the no hole or zert hole period at your cars plant. Unfortunately most early cars had their upper a arms replaced after all these years

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:29:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
If someone has removed the plug from an original upper control arm ball joint and inserted a zerk fitting, are there any identification markings on the upper arm to identify it as a factory part versus a service replacement part? I'm guessing that a control arm could be factory original with a later ball joint and zerk fitting added.

My scheduled build date is 19 June 64. Not sure if this is early enough for the no hole in the upper control arm.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:38:23 PM by Chris »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 11:47:03 PM »
If someone has removed the plug from an original upper control arm ball joint and inserted a zerk fitting, are there any identification markings on the upper arm to identify it as a factory part versus a service replacement part? I'm guessing that a control arm could be factory original with a later ball joint and zerk fitting added.

Yes you could have an original arm that has been rebuilt with new bushing and or ball joint. Depending on the source for the ball joint (they would typically be bolted in) they might have a zerk or plug in them. Other possibility would be a service replacement where someone replaced the plug with a zerk or left one in after lubing the ball joint after installation

First thing that comes to mind would be the date code stamping at the ball joint end.

My scheduled build date is 19 June 64. Not sure if this is early enough for the no hole in the upper control arm.

For reference the A arm above with no hole in the inner bushing is originally from a very nice original Aug 64 Dearborn car owned by Mike Murray a member on this site

Jeff Speegle