Author Topic: Fitting Removal -  (Read 1519 times)

Offline jwc66k

Fitting Removal -
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »
This is a two part question on the same subject:
What would be better to use to remove a stuck water elbow fitting on small block intake manifolds, heat or cold? The fitting is steel, the manifold is cast iron. Fitting p/n C6AZ-18599-B.
Same question about the steel fitting but for a cast aluminum manifold, heat or cold?
The real question is the expansion rates of the two different metals.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jmlay

Re: Fitting Removal -
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »
For the steel & cast intake heat & possibly a bit of melted candle wax.
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline zray

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
For the steel & cast intake heat & possibly a bit of melted candle wax.

almost any commercial penetrant will be superior to candle wax.

Do use candle wax when you are alone in a Rocky Mountain cabin in the winter with no access to an Auto Parts store.

Z.

Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »
Heat on the steel and cast iron should do the trick.

Aluminum is a bit tougher. If the steel is seized in the aluminum, the aluminum threads will likely become damaged by the harder steel when trying to back out the fitting. Also, be careful using too much heat on aluminum too quickly; it can easily warp and/or crack the aluminum. You can try to freeze the steel fitting by turning a can of air upside-down so it comes out as a liquid, but be very careful to avoid freezing your fingers, then quickly try removing the fitting before the aluminum gets too cold.

An odd trick I've used in the past is to hold an engraver against the fitting; the vibration sometimes was enough to crumble the corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

Lastly, repeatedly use a good penetrant and wait a few hours between applications and then try slightly tightening the fitting first before attempting to back it out.

Good luck

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »
You can try to freeze the steel fitting by turning a can of air upside-down so it comes out as a liquid, but be very careful to avoid freezing your fingers, then quickly try removing the fitting before the aluminum gets too cold.

An odd trick I've used in the past is to hold an engraver against the fitting; the vibration sometimes was enough to crumble the corrosion between the dissimilar metals.
That's the kind of "idiotic" genius type ideas I was looking for.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.