Author Topic: 67 hood install tips?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Angela

67 hood install tips?
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:37:15 PM »
If this topic has already been discussed 482 times, please forgive me and direct me to an old post. Searching this forum for "67 hood installation" didn't turn up anything, thus I decided it might be OK to ask for such help.

I'm ready to install my hood and am looking for tips and tricks so that I don't damage the paint anywhere. I assume I should first install the hinges to the car, but perhaps someone has found it's better to bolt the hinges to the hood, then bolt everything to the car.... I have no idea what tips folks could offer.

Also, suggestions on the adjustment process would be appreciated

Offline Angela

Re: 67 hood install tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
Maybe I should try this question in a different forum?  The only adivce I've been able to find elsewhere is to remove the hood latch and striker until after proper alignment has been achieved. I'm still assuming the hinges should be first bolted to the car, then bolt the hood to the hinges. Any tips on where to first align the hood with the hinges? My hinges were replated so there are no longer any marks left to guide me.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »
    My experience with 65-66 and 69 hood installs; This is mostly a dry fit, adjust and fit again procedure with no real short cuts that I know of.  Yes, I usually start   with the hood hinges firmly installed on the aprons.  Best guess for location and install the hood.                                                                                                                   
     !. Get some help at least two other people for each side
     2. One person, you, giving directions; right, left, front, back.     
     3. Towels or protective pads mostly get in the way so don't bother.
     4. The hood latch is not necessary at this point and install it later after you are satisfied with the hood fit.
     5. Go slow and be careful
Brian     
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »
Thanks Brian!

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:08 AM »
Place some blue painters adhesive tape on the hood where the hinge would meet to protect the paint when moving the hood forward and back. :)

Maybe a useful tip or two ?
http://falconccwa.stormloader.com/bonhint.htm
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:36:23 AM by GD64 »
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
Place some blue painters adhesive tape on the hood where the hinge would meet to protect the paint when moving the hood forward and back. :)

Maybe a useful tip or two ?
http://falconccwa.stormloader.com/bonhint.htm
+1 on these directions. I also think the hood should be fitted without the fenders to set the (rear) height, side to side, forward/aft, then to fit the fenders and then followed by the front height. The doors should also have already been fitted properly before the fenders. This had always worked best for me.
It's only complicated when we deviate from the fact that ALL of these panels must fit up with each other. The only time we can adjust individually is if we had taken an individual part out for work, say on the hinges (door trunk or hood)  and reinstalled the same panel back into an otherwise correctly adjusted vehicle.
Always a better plan is to do a test fitted assembly PRIOR to painting, getting the hinges right on a primered hood is a whole lot less risky than a smooth as glass finished item. MARK the hinges somehow (differs a little whether we are marking the door hinges or hood hinges) so that after it is painted, there is less probability of a maladjusted panel on closing any of these items, damaging your new paint.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:09:32 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »
Hey, thanks, that's a great link!

Concerning the painter's tape, how do you get the tape off once you're happy with the hood alignment? Or are you just leaving the tape between the hood and hinge? I'm wondering if a piece of 2 mil clear plastic would work equally well? Then, once happy with alignment I could, one at a time, loosen the hinge from the hood and yank the plastic out?