Author Topic: WTB: (quantity:1) I need a hens tooth please! Thermactor Hose Holder & Parts  (Read 3507 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 289 with A/C & Thermactors have a hose support or holder on top of the AC compressors. This may be a somewhat standard-used item elsewhere on Fords,  so please look at the photo to maybe offer suggestions on where I could get one. (thanks for the picture, Jeff)
ALSO: It looks like one of my Thermactor hose & clamps (66 & 67 small blocks are correct) have found a hiding spot and seem to be lost, so I need the one between the pump and the filter canister (with 2 wire style clamps)

Thanks, Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
The "J" hose??

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

The "J" hose??

Yes, that is the hose needed. I understand that it is the only one which uses the wire style clamps.

UPDATE: I made 2 low-ball offers on eBay yesterday for a couple pumps and hoses with brackets, pulleys, canisters tubes, check valves etc. off of 66 289's with the early design or "port injection" style (basically everything in these two pictures and more but NO HENS TOOTH) so the hose with clamps seems to be handled. Now, once again, I have surplus inventory of many unneeded parts (does this sound familiar?)

Almost immediately afterwards from checkout on the "best offer" deals, (both eBay offers were basically immediately accepted) I received a P.M. from a Concours member who not only had the hose w/clamps, but believes he may have the support bracket/clamp too.(the Hens tooth!) He explains that it looks different than the photo so this may not yet be handled. His offer, BTW was WAY better than what I ended up paying for.

The members of this site are awesome! Had I been a little patient, I could have saved myself much time and (till I sell the extra stuff anyways) a whole bunch of money!! Hind sight being 20/20, clearly, I should have WAITED on the eBay stuff! Haste makes waste once again!!   :-[

Thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:39:59 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator

UPDATE: I made 2 low-ball offers on eBay yesterday for a couple pumps and hoses with brackets, pulleys, canisters tubes, check valves etc. off of 66 289's with the early design or "port injection" style (basically everything in these two pictures and more but NO HENS TOOTH) so the hose with clamps seems to be handled. Now, once again, I have surplus inventory of many unneeded parts (does this sound familiar?)

Almost immediately afterwards from checkout on the "best offer" deals, (both eBay offers were basically immediately accepted) I received a P.M. from a Concours member who not only had the hose w/clamps, but believes he may have the support bracket/clamp too.(the Hens tooth!) He explains that it looks different than the photo so this may not yet be handled. His offer, BTW was WAY better than what I ended up paying for.

The members of this site are awesome! Had I been a little patient, I could have saved myself much time and (till I sell the extra stuff anyways) a whole bunch of money!! Hind sight being 20/20, clearly, I should have WAITED on the eBay stuff! Haste makes waste once again!!   :-[

Thanks, Richard
Richard ,don't be too hard on yourself. It is easy to do a Monday morning quarterback guilt trip on yourself. But it could have been just as likely that no one would have your part available for some time. When it comes to hard to find parts many people wait too long thinking a better deal will come along or they will buy it when closer to needing it in a resto project. That philosophy can cause stress later when you can't find the part when you need it. A bird in hand as they say. It is also better to have too many then not enough IMO. Congrats on your good fortune.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

Thanks Bob.
I am good with this situation. I've already seen how extra parts usually translate into money-in-the-bank, maybe only loosing out on shipping costs once in a while other times having a profit or a host of items to make the best "educated choice" from.  Sometimes, we get other items we needed as well, we just didn't realize yet that one of those "clamps" or something similar were damaged, or incorrect or whatever, so having surplus ends up being a blessing in disguise!

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

67 289 with A/C & Thermactors have a hose support or holder on top of the AC compressors. This may be a somewhat standard-used item elsewhere on Fords,  so please look at the photo to maybe offer suggestions on where I could get one. (thanks for the picture, Jeff)
ALSO: It looks like one of my Thermactor hose & clamps (66 & 67 small blocks are correct) have found a hiding spot and seem to be lost, so I need the one between the pump and the filter canister (with 2 wire style clamps)

Thanks, Richard

I'm still looking for the "HOOP" that goes around the Thermactor AIR hose above the AC compressor for a 67 289, it can be a 2V or 4V carb, but it looks to be a 67-only thing

Thanks, Richard
Richard Urch

Offline preaction

Is it the bracket on the passenger side of the compressor or the drivers side that you are looking for ? also the 390 "J" hose for 67 uses the wire clamps too.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

It is a "hoop" strap that holds the AIR hose (looks like a heater hose) to the top of the AC compressor on AC equipped small blocks.

Look up at the first post and there is a picture of it. It bolts to the top of the AC compressor with a short 3/8" bolt (9/16" wrench size)

It looks to be either plastic or a plastic-coated metal strap, I cannot tell for sure.

I do not think it gets used on a 390 engine, at least not for the same purpose anyways.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:49:15 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

Osborne Engine Equipment Assembly Manual, page #117 look at item # 41.

376906-S is the hoop strap
304628-S is the bolt (3/8-16" x .50)

UPDATE: I checked the spreadsheets made by Jim, used ONLY on a 67 289 with Air Conditioning and Thermactor system.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:20:54 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
It is a "hoop" strap that holds the AIR hose (looks like a heater hose) to the top of the AC compressor on AC equipped small blocks. ........
It looks to be either plastic or a plastic-coated metal strap, I cannot tell for sure.

Metal band coated with rubber from what I've seen and often replaced with the metal band with rubber insulator by PO's. Never seemed to have removed and these with the systems I removed :(  Pictures suggest that the location has been modified by the prior owner(s) likely to reduce the slack in at leat one example

I do not think it gets used on a 390 engine, at least not for the same purpose anyways.

No used on 390's - there wasn't a need since the driver's side hose is allot shorter and is held in place by the end of the drivers side manifold

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

Osborne Engine Equipment Assembly Manual, page #117 look at item # 41.

376906-S is the hoop strap
304628-S is the bolt (3/8-16" x .50)

UPDATE: I checked the spreadsheets made by Jim, used ONLY on a 67 289 with Air Conditioning and Thermactor system.
The same strap and bolt are used on 66 289 engines with A/C and California smog. That includes full size Ford, Comet, Falcon and Fairlane cars. I'll post a picture of the drawing later.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
The same strap and bolt are used on 66 289 engines with A/C and California smog...........

Internal or external system?   Never mind found them installed on both styles

Plenty of them long gone after all these years

Looking through my pictures ;) and found these examples. Like other rubber dipped straps the attaching ends were left bare.  Coating is not as thin or neat as other examples like AC hose straps during other years

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:32:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
The same clip is also shown for some of the under dash wiring in 65-66 Thunderbirds.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline jwc66k

Here's a drawing from Osborn's Ford Standard And Utility Parts Catalog, January 1965, AM0202, pg34. I see that Dave has an additional source. Now go find a T-Bird and "con" the owner out of one.
Looking at the AMK 2014 Catalog, pg150, Ford 383701-S100 (AMK B-10286), if you round out the dual 0.69 in dia tube retainers into a single 1 3/16 in dia retainer, it would be "close".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

Again Jim, your efforts in assembling the spreadsheets has assisted in looking for a "hen's tooth"  8)

I now have another clue or two to follow up on, I do know where a 67 Galaxie is and now I have to wonder if there might be one there under the dash too!

I figured FORD had to use this item elsewhere, but I have had no clue where to look for it. I always figured it was too "exact" to be used ONLY on a small block thermactor equipped, and only WITH factory air conditioning. Like other common things lost or left off over time, this item is just TOO OBVIOUS when it is missing to not "get it right".

Thanks again Jim ;)

BTW, anyone reading along: I STILL NEED THIS!

Richard

Richard Urch