Author Topic: DIY - New Chrome Idea for plastic AC vents  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Darrentxs

DIY - New Chrome Idea for plastic AC vents
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »
I think I found a new way to restore the vacuum metalized chrome on plastic like AC vents without too much trouble. I've never heard it discussed before but was wondering if anyone else was familiar with and tried this method.

The idea comes from credit cards. The embossed cards are "tipped" when made, with either silver or gold on the raised characters. The tipping machine uses a ribbon of let's say silver which comes into contact with the card. Next  a  heated part of the machine presses down onto the ribbon and burnishes across it pretty quickly. The silver material is then transferred to the card. 

What do you think? Is this already something that has been tried?

I plan to try it on some spares. I have a ribbon and plan to use an adjustable temp hobby iron made for RC airplane skinning. I'm just waiting for it to come in. (eBay)
Life is too short to have an ugly car.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: DIY - New Chrome Idea for plastic AC vents
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
Sounds interesting, let us know what you find out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Darrentxs

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:27:49 PM »
Will do Charles. I'll take some pictures and share the results here. I should have the iron sometime this week and results to follow shortly thereafter.

*Edited to add - UPS tracking says my iron is scheduled to arrive on 4/02.  I'm ready and waiting for it. I'll experiment and report back with pics.  I have high hopes Jeff & Charles!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:12:12 PM by Darrentxs »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:00:22 PM »
Yes would be interesting. Please take a series of pictures through the process then post the results

If your successful it would make for a nice article to help others
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
I had something similar as part of my wood burning kit when I was younger.  I kind of remember it didn't apply a very even finish at least to the wood.  I don't know how hot you would have to get this stuff but I would be afraid you would melt the plastic.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Darrentxs

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
I've been experimenting and have an update on what I learned in my DIY attempt to re-chrome small plastic AC ducts. (It works!)

Tools:  I purchased and used a "gift pack" 2 iron set containing a Coverite Trim Sealing Iron & a Coverite 21st Century Iron marketed for the RC aircraft hobby.  The smaller trim sealing iron comes with 2 heads, (I used the angled tip head), which are painted with what looks like Teflon but isn’t. After a couple hours at max temp the paint began to peel off and no longer glided properly during use. The temperature adjustment on that iron is maximum 305 F. The larger 21st Century Iron has a maximum of 390 F and has a Teflon coating that held up well.  The chrome ribbon I used came from a company called Malahide located in Canada. They sell ribbons and card embossing equipment. They have outstanding customer service and I highly recommend them. I ordered the Premium silver ribbon in 1.5” width. Scissors and an eraser were used as well.

Preparation:
I practiced quite a bit on the sides of plastic handled screwdrivers until I had a feel for the speed and temperature needed.  The cleaner and smoother the surface of the object to be chromed the better the results will be. My attempts to go over factory chrome without prep resulted in a splotchy look.  When I used an eraser as a mild abrasive to remove old plating and smooth the surfaces, I had much better looking results.   

Process:  After surface prep, I let the irons warm up to temp for about 5-7 minutes. I held and or taped a piece of the silver/chrome ribbon in place over the plastic AC vent and “ironed” over it. I noticed when my iron was gliding smoothly it wasn’t quite hot enough. When it felt slightly sticky as I moved it, it seemed to work great.  To get radiused profiles covered well, I had to move the iron over it a few times with slight variances in the approach angle.   When the ribbon appeared to stick to the surface, I slowly pealed it off and Walla the chrome was applied.  It left the ribbon with a transparent area where the chrome was removed and transferred to the AC vent.   It works best to not iron over wrinkles in the chrome ribbon.  Doing so will leave small areas not covered that will need to be touched up with another pass.   

Results: While using the small trim iron, my best results were had when it was set to max temperature, 305F.  It worked but I had to move the iron at a very slow speed to get good adhesion.  I also had to go over areas multiple times to get an even coating. I found myself wishing it would get hotter. The easiest and best looking results were accomplished using the larger 21st Century iron set at 350F.   The larger iron is a bit unwieldly for the task but I was able to use it in tight areas with some practice and creative ways of holding the AC vents. I liked it best. The smaller iron would be ideal if it would get hotter and had a Teflon coating on the heads.  The actual color is sparking silver chrome. The attached pictures may look like matte silver, but that is simply my poor photography. The new chrome twinkles and is shiny just like the OEM chrome. My unscientific fingernail scratch test resulted in durability comparable to the OEM finish. It was very good.

I would not recommend using this method for more than touchups on a large bezel.  It’s a good method for DIY on AC vents though.  I hope someone finds this useful.  It was pretty easy, you can do it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:57:33 PM by Darrentxs »

Offline 428scj

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:19 PM »
The process is called hot foil stamping.I have 4 presses in the shop .It will work but since some parts are angled or hard to reach this process is limited.On angled or uneven products we use a 3 dimensional silicon die that is heated.Many different foils are aval. for different substrates.You will need the correct one to make the product last.
1969 SHELBY GT350
1969 MACH 1 SCJ

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
Would this work on a 68 AM radio? There is a silver line appx 1 mm tall and 4 inches long that is usually worn pretty good.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Darrentxs

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »
Would this work on a 68 AM radio? There is a silver line appx 1 mm tall and 4 inches long that is usually worn pretty good.

I think so. I plan to do my AC/Heat bezel next. The accent around the sliders is worn on it and it sounds like a similar part.  I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. 

Thanks for the info 428scj, it sounds like you have a nice setup for it.

Offline 428scj

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
Yes we are set up but I have never even thought about what you are doing before.We use are stampers for promotional items such as Binders and Cases.Im sure I will mess around with your idea with some different foils.If you need more foil let me know I have tons.
1969 SHELBY GT350
1969 MACH 1 SCJ

Offline Darrentxs

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:54 PM »
That's nice of you to offer! I have a 400ft roll so I'm likely "set for life".  :)

I just did my spare heat/ac bezel. I have a couple more tips:  Just tape one side down and iron from the taped end towards the open end of the ribbon so it will push out wrinkles as you go. If it looks frosty instead of shiny chrome, you got it a little too hot. Just go over it again a little faster with a new piece of ribbon.  The bezel I just did has 2 rectangular raised areas that get chromed. One was easy access and came out as new, the other has an end that's tough to get to. I had to do that one several times because it was tough to access.  I even tried the small iron and decided to never use that one again. It's just not hot enough. Throughout all my tests I've had no problems melting the plastic on the bezels. I have put spots of chrome here and there in places I didn't mean to. I cleaned those off no problem. It may be better to mask neaby areas off 1st.

Offline sparky65

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »
Looks nice.  I have an adjustable temperature soldering iron with some flat tips.  I may try using this when I get around to my console.  The problem may be the tips don't have that Teflon coating which seems to be important.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Darrentxs

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:21:43 AM »
Looks nice.  I have an adjustable temperature soldering iron with some flat tips.  I may try using this when I get around to my console.  The problem may be the tips don't have that Teflon coating which seems to be important.

Thanks Sparky, I'd go ahead and try it with your adjustable temp soldering iron. A smaller tip would be a big advantage. I haven't ever burned through the ribbon so it must be made to take the heat.  I think my small trim iron which peeled was hanging up on the edges of the peeled paint on the head. A smooth iron tip may work just fine. It may even be possiple to use a teflon lube on it or Pam if necessary. I guess the main concern is getting it set to a workable temperature. Be sure to practice on similar plastic stuff beforehand. If you do try please let us know. I may just use your idea too.