Author Topic: PCV Valve Finish- C5AE-6A666-B  (Read 487 times)

Offline Jim Hamel

PCV Valve Finish- C5AE-6A666-B
« on: January 31, 2024, 11:23:52 PM »
My 65 K code car is nearing the end of its restoration. The shop called with a list of a few things still needed. One of them was a PCV valve. I found a decent used one C5AE-6A666-B, but the finish is a bit worn. The question is, was the finish oil-phosphate, black-oxide, or some other surface treatment for the cars out of San Jose?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:12:56 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: PCV Valve Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 11:59:44 PM »
My 65 K code car is nearing the end of its restoration. The shop called with a list of a few things still needed. One of them was a PCV valve. I found a decent used one C5AE-6A666-B, but the finish is a bit worn. The question is, was the finish oil-phosphate, black-oxide, or some other surface treatment for the cars out of San Jose?
Typically bright zinc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 02:12:22 PM »
Some examples from -A1 version

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 07:03:29 PM »
Some examples from -A1 version

I have a C7AE-6A666-A valve (somewhere, it's marked with that plus Eaton) that is NOS. It is closer to a dull zinc/cad finish. I also have another "original" C7AE-6A666-A that I had replated. The piston is natural, the spring is blackish, the retaining clip is also blackish.
From my research - C5AZ-6A666-A, C6AZ-6A666-A, REPL BY D0AZ-6A666-A. Just reference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 08:02:27 PM »
The valve body was typically bright but the finish can oxidize over time changing the look to a duller finish. On the bottom side the washer is typically black oxide or zinc phosphate . The spring clip holding the washer in place is typically a spring steel or gun blueing can replicate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 08:10:24 PM »
The valve body was typically bright but the finish can oxidize over time changing the look to a duller finish. On the bottom side the washer is typically black oxide or zinc phosphate . The spring clip holding the washer in place is typically a spring steel or gun blueing can replicate.
I think I said that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 09:08:52 PM »
I have a C7AE-6A666-A valve (somewhere, it's marked with that plus Eaton) that is NOS. It is closer to a dull zinc/cad finish. I also have another "original" C7AE-6A666-A that I had replated. The piston is natural, the spring is blackish, the retaining clip is also blackish.
From my research - C5AZ-6A666-A, C6AZ-6A666-A, REPL BY D0AZ-6A666-A. Just reference.
Jim
It reads that you stated  "It is closer to a dull zinc/cad finish" which is different then bright zinc.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 04:59:43 PM »
It reads that you stated  "It is closer to a dull zinc/cad finish" which is different then bright zinc.
If you look at the pictures that Jeff posted and what I was referring to, the valve on the right is what I would identify as "dull zinc/cad" plating. (Cad got banned for Military use sometime in the 70-80s time period.) The one on the left I would call "clear zinc" plating. "Clear zinc" is the term used in Silicon Valley to identify in simple language what you wanted to the plating shop to do, the shiny stuff. They understood it was to a Mil-Spec. The terminology was part of our "KISS" approach - "Keep It Simple Stupid". That approach got us to the moon and back.
Jim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 05:28:06 PM »
If you look at the pictures that Jeff posted and what I was referring to, the valve on the right is what I would identify as "dull zinc/cad" plating. (Cad got banned for Military use sometime in the 70-80s time period.) The one on the left I would call "clear zinc" plating. "Clear zinc" is the term used in Silicon Valley to identify in simple language what you wanted to the plating shop to do, the shiny stuff. They understood it was to a Mil-Spec. The terminology was part of our "KISS" approach - "Keep It Simple Stupid". That approach got us to the moon and back.
Jim
Since you did not specifically identify that you were referring to one in Jeff's picture I missed the association. Maybe next time please be more clear for people like me that need more clarification. Regardless not too dull IMO. Bright zinc is in layman's terms and more descriptive. I try not to talk over anyone's head If I can help it because I know people here appreciate easy to understand context. Clear zinc although a correct term can be confusing to those who are not versed in the different plating finishes.  I have had dozens and dozen NOS C5,C6 and C7AE PCV valves that were "bright zinc" (Jim uses clear zinc) to begin with and then over time and exposure to different atmospheric conditions dulled down. I have had NOS cases of the PCV and had to inspect each box in the case because some may be bright zinc and others were dramatically different in appearance because of light corrosion. Consequently pointing this out because I don't believe they started out dull as you seem to infer.   

Offline Jim Hamel

Re: PCV Valve Finish- C5AE-6A666-B
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 09:32:48 PM »
Thank you everyone. I attached a picture of the one I picked up. There aren?t any traces of plating on it. So, I should disassemble it and have the body plated so it is judged as, correct?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: PCV Valve Finish- C5AE-6A666-B
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 11:15:53 PM »
Thank you everyone. I attached a picture of the one I picked up. There aren?t any traces of plating on it. So, I should disassemble it and have the body plated so it is judged as, correct?
I have never seen or heard of one that was bare metal without plating regardless of type of plating . Correct is the answer to your question. Bright zinc is the most typical finish for the style in the picture. After 68 black chromate came into wide use on the PCV for assemblyline and replacement service parts
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 11:17:56 PM by Bob Gaines »