Author Topic: Cloth tape  (Read 10293 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Cloth tape
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »
Is that cloth tape available anywhere?  I thought I had a roll left over from another project, but I can't find it.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »
Is that cloth tape available anywhere?  I thought I had a roll left over from another project, but I can't find it.

I don't know if it's an exact match (sure looks close) but hockey stick tape would likely be a great product to use.  The wide tape is approx. 1.5" wide and comes in 30 yd rolls. 

Regards,

Ron

1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »

Think a bunch of us have used Gaffers tape for many years. A bunch of the MCA judges discovered the stuff when we found a worker at a hotel using the tape to secure a microphone cable to the carpet in a hall we were using for the judges meeting - Must have been late 80's

One roll will last you a long time - have been happy with Shurtape brand
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll see if I can track some down.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »
FYI - I can't remember which brand I got, but I found a big, 2" wide roll of gaffer's tape for $20 at the local Guitar Center store...
Worked great for my restoration!

Update - the tape I found at Guitar Center is called Pro-Gaff
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:38:25 AM by Paperback Writer »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
The original cloth tape was dark on the exposed and adhesive sides. So far, all the gaffer's tape I've seen is white on the adhesive side. In that "little quirk", it may be considered not as original. A couple of years ago I contacted 3M about a dark adhesive side cloth tape but they didn't have that type. The rep was not sure if they ever sold a dark sided tape cloth tape. If you call a company's rep, mention you are working on a classic Mustang. That usually opens a lot of friendly doors.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 10:21:55 AM »
The original cloth tape was dark on the exposed and adhesive sides. So far, all the gaffer's tape I've seen is white on the adhesive side. In that "little quirk", it may be considered not as original. A couple of years ago I contacted 3M about a dark adhesive side cloth tape but they didn't have that type. The rep was not sure if they ever sold a dark sided tape cloth tape. If you call a company's rep, mention you are working on a classic Mustang. That usually opens a lot of friendly doors.
Jim

Having the tape black on both the exposed and the adhesive side is why I suggested "hockey stick tape".

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »
The original cloth tape was dark on the exposed and adhesive sides. So far, all the gaffer's tape I've seen is white on the adhesive side...............

Correct - the Shurtape roll I've used for years was made that way. Others will need to double check if they are still making it that way. Also be aware some versions have a somewhat glossy top finish - not what your looking for. Might be the results or more plastic used by those companies in the outer layer
Jeff Speegle

Offline Nightmist66gt

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
NPD sell this cloths tape in different size ,adhesive and non adhesive too

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 07:19:44 PM »
NPD sell this cloths tape in different size ,adhesive and non adhesive too

Black or white adhesive?
Jeff Speegle

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »
i don't remember seeing the 'non adhesive' cloth tape......just the non adhesive black wire wrapping tape.
5F09C331248

Offline Nightmist66gt

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
i don't remember seeing the 'non adhesive' cloth tape......just the non adhesive black wire wrapping tape.

you're right for non adhesive cloth tape its wire wrapping tape ,sorry for the mistake, so the adhesive tape NPD part number is 913-4 for 3/4''

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
Correct - the Shurtape roll I've used for years was made that way. Others will need to double check if they are still making it that way. Also be aware some versions have a somewhat glossy top finish - not what your looking for. Might be the results or more plastic used by those companies in the outer layer

I have looked at the Surtape site and see way too many different tapes available, Identifying which closest matches up would be tough.

http://www.shurtape.com/node/346 is one of the possibilities

The next problem after identifying a "correct" type of tape would be sourcing it at the retail level. I live close enough to Avon to pick up a case but then what do you do with the rest?  :o  ;D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 01:05:21 PM »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »
you're right for non adhesive cloth tape its wire wrapping tape ,sorry for the mistake, so the adhesive tape NPD part number is 913-4 for 3/4''
That looks like friction tape, the type used on hockey sticks back in the 60's when I played. There are limited uses for friction tape, none that I know of for 64-66, however it was used on the blower motor housing in 67 on, but that was a one inch wide tape.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.