Author Topic: Help with distributor ID...what do I have?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline jeff8877

Help with distributor ID...what do I have?
« on: February 01, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Hi guys,

Have a distributor which has been on the shelf for last 30 years. Part number on side is C5GF-12127-A. What I can't figure out is when I look up this number all I see are SINGLE point distributors and this one is DUAL?? Anyone know which it is or if maybe something got swapped out?

Thanks Much
Jeff

Offline JKWilson

Re: Help with distributor ID...what do I have?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »
It's a single point housing with vacuum advance for a '65 289 4v that someone has put a dual points plate into. The tabs on the side (with a screw in one visible in your second photo), is where the advance was attached. It should also have a hole in the side between those "tabs" where the advance arm passed through to the plate. Sure hope you didn't pay a dual points price for it!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »
Hi guys,

Have a distributor which has been on the shelf for last 30 years. Part number on side is C5GF-12127-A. What I can't figure out is when I look up this number all I see are SINGLE point distributors and this one is DUAL?? Anyone know which it is or if maybe something got swapped out?

Thanks Much
Jeff
The empty location for the vacuum advance pod coming out the side of the case along with engineering number tells the story of a conversion by a PO. The duel point plate was a common sold  performance up grade up to the point (pun intended) that relatively inexpensive electronic conversions like pertronics became available. The plate conversion kits were sold first  through Ford and later through the after market. There were early 70's Ford replacement versions sold through the dealers utilizing a vacuum advance case which had a metal cover over the vacuum pod location but the case was sourced before a number was stamped and a more appropriate duel point reference engineering number was stamped instead. This is my opinion of what you have based on past experience.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »
Jeff,
 I bought the same distributor conversion on e-bay but I needed a C5GF-12127-A distributor for my 66 Hardtop. I sent it out for a rebuild and calibration. The dual point plate I had re-plated and sold it on e-bay. The C5GF-12127-A is probably the 2nd most desired distributor after the HP version as it fits all 289 four barrel engines ("A" code) with MT and AT transmissions in 65 and 66 (non Cal smog).
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jeff8877

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
Thanks guys