Author Topic: Export Mustang photos  (Read 11496 times)

Offline zray

Export Mustang photos
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »
a Mustang pal of mine is restoring this A code  car. Found in a barn in northern France where it had been resting for 30+ years

Z.
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Export Mustang photos
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
Looks like a great find.  A vert with floors a great way to start off.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline zray

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
Re the underhood photo:

can anyone confirm, as being factory or not, the absence of the  convertible-only  long cowl to inner  fender braces when the  car was equipted with a factory installed export brace ?

Z

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
Re the underhood photo:

can anyone confirm, as being factory or not, the absence of the  convertible-only  long cowl to inner  fender braces when the  car was equipted with a factory installed export brace ?

Z
It's a 65 and the convertible braces were not factory installed until 1966. They were a dealer retro-fix for earlier cars. That still doesn't answer whether the export brace and convertible braces were both installed in 1966.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
My Jan 65 car had the long braces - best I can tell they are original.  It is a 27000 mi car.  I suppose they could have been added, but not sure how to confirm that.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:06 PM »
Search is your friend.

"Nov 11, 64 as being the date that the engine compartment and underdash braces were added to production to address "cowl shake" complaints."
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2250.msg11509#msg11509

As for them being deleted on Export cars with the export brace would have to look into that - not allot of examples
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline zray

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »
Search is your friend.

"Nov 11, 64 as being the date that the engine compartment and underdash braces were added to production to address "cowl shake" complaints."

As for them being deleted on Export cars with the export brace would have to look into that - not allot of examples

I'll ask the owner if there is any evidence they were ever there, might be some tell-tale sign.

Z.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 12:19:10 AM »
It's a 65 and the convertible braces were not factory installed until 1966. They were a dealer retro-fix for earlier cars. That still doesn't answer whether the export brace and convertible braces were both installed in 1966.
Jim

The braces started being installed around Nov of '64, which also included a brace from the bottom lip of the metal dash to the brake pedal support.  Earlier cars could be retrofitted at owner's request.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:09 AM »
Can anyone confirm, as being factory or not, the absence of the  convertible-only  long cowl to inner  fender braces when the  car was equipted with a factory installed export brace ?

I don't believe there is clearance over the export brace for the long convertible braces to be installed.  Should be quite easy to determine based on the absence or presence of holes in the front inner fender panels.  Also, consider the production date of the car as mentioned regarding the braces.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 12:52:50 AM »
Search is your friend.

To be more clear, my Jan 65 T5 convt did have both the unique convt bars and the 1 pc export brace - I believe original to the car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 02:16:06 AM »
Checked my pictures as well as recall one at a Calif show - none had both the export brace and convertible front braces. All built after they would have been standard on convertibles sold in the US.

Maybe 5 total examples- 65 and 66's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ajd350

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
I don't believe there is clearance over the export brace for the long convertible braces to be installed.  Should be quite easy to determine based on the absence or presence of holes in the front inner fender panels.  Also, consider the production date of the car as mentioned regarding the braces.

You are correct, Charles. In order to add the long braces with an OEM export brace on my 66 CV I had to fabricate a pair with an arc at the cowl end to clear the export brace.
MCA #2254

Offline zray

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »
My French pal just sent me another photo of the engine bay, and mentions that there were no holes, or evidence that there were ever any holes for the cowl bracing in his sleeping beauty.

FYI ,  not assuming these photos are of a unmolested car, there are plenty of details  that the owner is working on to bring the car back to an as-delivered condition.

PS:  I wonder if those are Koni shocks, the tops look orange...
Z
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:02:53 PM by zray »

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 10:29:45 AM »
What about the 4 Shelby Convertibles produced by the end of 1966 production year?
Texas Swede

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »
What's that metal looking tag on the fender apron to the left of the VIN stamping?
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252