Author Topic: 65 Styled Steel Wheels Silver or Charcoal?  (Read 10777 times)

Offline BigKat

Correct color of paint on 65 GT Fastback steel style wheels
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »
What is the correct color of wheel paint for my 65 GT Fastback steel style wheels with a build date 29 June 1965 from Dearborn, Argent or Charcoal? I seen where early production used argent but I fall in the middle of the year.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Correct color of paint on 65 GT Fastback steel style wheels
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 02:42:24 PM »
Charcoal would be the most common from the factory at that point, but if a dealer installed them, could be argent or charcoal depending on their stock.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
+1

I also look into this rather extensively and came up with the same results.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
What is the correct color of wheel paint for my 65 GT Fastback steel style wheels with a build date 29 June 1965 from Dearborn, Argent or Charcoal? I seen where early production used argent but I fall in the middle of the year.
The unasked question is - do the wheels have trim rings, or are the rims chrome plated? If chrome plated (without trim rings), then argent. If trim rings are used then Charcoal, the rims are SG black. In theory, all 65 Mustangs Style Steel Wheels are the Argent colored types, 66 is Charcoal, in theory. As the assembly line data is non-existent, and as dealers made upgrades from stock, a "late" 65 may be either. The only verification is a window sticker or build sheet, which still might not state which color anyway. If you have a choice, use the argent for 65. Less hassle from an MCA judge that way.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ajd350

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
I have had a few Chrome rimmed with only very aged charcoal paint with no sign of a repaint or any traces of argent.  Maybe a later transitional thing?
MCA #2254

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »
The MPC actually calls out a transition date of 2/1/65

Before 2/1/65, "chrome cavities painted grey"
After 2/1/65, "chrome cavities painted grey-gold"

We know the first version was argent, so decide whether or not to call the later color "charcoal". 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 65GTPenn

Steel Style Wheels
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2022, 10:10:10 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to Concours Mustang Forum.  Hoping for some assistance from people with more knowledge than me! 

I'm almost finished with the restoration of my 1965 Ford Mustang A code.  I am trying to keep it as original as possible.  The build date is June 18, 1965 out of the San Jose plant.  I am going to work/paint on my steel styled wheels.  I have read a lot on this topic regarding the color of the inserts.  This where I could use some assistance. 

I have learned that the transition date on the colors are:

Before Feb 1, 1965, chrome cavities are painted grey  (light grey)
After Feb 1, 1965, chrome cavities are painted grey gold (charcoal)   

The previous owner had painted the wheels very dark, almost black.  I can see the straight lines in the paint where they put the tape.  It appears to me that they have not painted the spare tire.  The color on the spare looks very light color grey to me, but I figured by June 65, it would have been the charcoal color.  I attached a photo of two rims.  Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Steel Style Wheels
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2022, 12:19:30 AM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information helpful in your projects related to originality

Search turned up what appears to be the larger of the prior postings. Hope this will provide the answer your looking for

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1194.0

Will be merging your post with that one to keep them all together as best possible
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 02:56:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Butch2

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2022, 12:42:10 PM »
I too am following this subject with interest and appreciate the link to previous threads. I understand the cutoff dates from the MPC and question how they apply to scheduled build dates and MCA judging in concours trailered class. If the wheels could be sourced from dealer stock anytime during the 1965 model years they could possibly be either shade. So what say yee? Would you deduct for the incorrect shade depending upon build date, and what would be an appropriate point deduction if any? I remember from twenty-five years ago that 65 chrome styled steel wheels were accepted thru an October 1965 build date with no deductions, nor any real distinction between shades of argent or gold- gray. I also appreciate the fact that an ongoing effort has been made to continually improve the shared knowledge base to get these cars closer to the way they were built and delivered. Thank you for your answers. Moderators, delete this post if not appropriate.

Offline 65GTPenn

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  I?m still learning a lot and these forums help!  It seems to me from reading the links that the correct color for my June 65 Mustang would be grey gold (charcoal).  I had purchased a can of Accumatch steel style gray (#L - 17540) and it is nowhere near the color of my spare tire (wheel) that appears to be the original color that came with the vehicle.  Can anyone tell from the photo on my previous post if the SS Wheel that is not on the vehicle argent or charcoal?  Or what color paint should I get that closely matches it. 

Offline 65IVYGT

charcoal paint for styled steel wheels (65 GT)?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2022, 08:36:16 PM »
I'm ready to paint my styled steel wheels the proper "charcoal" color. Having made paint mistakes in the past...and having searched the site for a clear answer...can anyone recommend a very good, closely matching, spray paint?

I know there are different manufacturers and if my search for a reasonably proper "gold" for my engine bay proved anything...they are all over the place.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:57:01 AM by 65IVYGT »
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline Ken65GT

Re: charcoal paint for styled steel wheels (65 GT)?
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2022, 10:36:23 PM »
My research for the proper gold paint for aircleaner and valve covers led me to Omni-Fill AP-EGC from NPD.
Ken Webb
65A J  26  28S  33  E  6
5F07Axxxxxx

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: charcoal paint for styled steel wheels (65 GT)?
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2022, 10:43:01 PM »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline k-code

Re: 65 Styled Steel Wheels Silver or Charcoal?
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »
Have a somewhat related question; my Dec 64 Dearborn K code coupe doesn't have the original wheels. 14" torque thrusts were on the car along with a spare set of 15" styled steel wheels (argent).
What would the default wheel from the factory have been given the original window sticker and sales order didn't specify anything. I used to think styled steel wheel but now I'm not sure. Plain steel rim with hub cap or?
Thanks, Andy
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Styled Steel Wheels Silver or Charcoal?
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 02:19:00 PM »
Have a somewhat related question; my Dec 64 Dearborn K code coupe doesn't have the original wheels. 14" torque thrusts were on the car along with a spare set of 15" styled steel wheels (argent).
What would the default wheel from the factory have been given the original window sticker and sales order didn't specify anything. I used to think styled steel wheel but now I'm not sure. Plain steel rim with hub cap or?
Thanks, Andy

Basic steel wheels with standard hubcaps. Which was pretty typical especially if the new owner planned on adding aftermarket "cool" wheels. Would not have had styled steel wheels based on what you shared 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)