Author Topic: 1964.5 firewall engine wiring clip location? Picture of the clips on the brace?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Lemondrop

Racking my brain, have the osborne diagram but I can't see the clamps and locations on the firewall for where the plastic retainers snap in. Also I can't recall what the clips on the shock tower brace look like. Anyone got pics?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Approximate build date and assembly plant will make a difference on the shock tower brace clips and also sometimes the orientation of the push straps.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Lemondrop

June 8th 1964
Duh! Forgot to add Dearborn!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:35:37 PM by Lemondrop »

Offline Lemondrop

This is my original firewall, the pic I just dug up is going to help me a bunch :)

The downside is a couple holes I have should have a firewall pad retainer pin in them :(

Getting them in with stuff in the dash shall suck.

Offline Lemondrop

Ok, I marked up my old firewall pic. I cut it out and replaced it with a repop panel but made sure all of the holes were lined up and drilled to the old.

The BLACK arrows I'm assuming are where my wiring clips went.

The PURPLE arrows I'm assuming are firewall pad pins?

The BLUE arrow I'm very uncertain of.

The RED I think is for the Neutral SS/ Reverse light switch wires.

The lower two holes I did not mark I'm pretty sure were used for 6 cyl cars for the throttle linkage.

Offline Lemondrop

Found another picture of the firewall, yep the two purples are pad pins........

Offline Lemondrop

I'm only tossing this one up as someone might like the paint line for reference.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Ok, I marked up my old firewall pic. I cut it out and replaced it with a repop panel but made sure all of the holes were lined up and drilled to the old.

The BLACK arrows I'm assuming are where my wiring clips went.

The PURPLE arrows I'm assuming are firewall pad pins?

The BLUE arrow I'm very uncertain of.

The RED I think is for the Neutral SS/ Reverse light switch wires.

The lower two holes I did not mark I'm pretty sure were used for 6 cyl cars for the throttle linkage.

The blue is for a wire clip that gets attached from the inside... shifter light or console wiring.

The red is the a/c compressor power lead.

Yes, lower 2 are for 6 cyl.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:42:22 AM by caspian65 »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
June 8th 1964
Duh! Forgot to add Dearborn!

The clips for the shock tower braces will be the small rectangular slide on, usually 2. 

San Jose used the big gnarly ones, like for the rear fuel sender lead under the car.

Offline Lemondrop

Plastic or metal?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Plastic or metal?

For the braces?  Both styles are metal with rubber coating where the wires attach.

Offline Lemondrop

Got semi-lucky I guess. I took a good look at the brace this morning and one of the clips is still on the brace. It appears to not have rubber on it but I'm not pulling it down to figure out for certain. Now I just need to find another one as I dug through most of my stash buckets for over and hour looking for the clips and firewall pad pins. I found one pin, need to find another. I had a few that were rotted away from the old firewall/cowl water damage. I've been trying to scavenge them when I come across cars and save them, just have not found enough of them yet :)

A buddy has a dead 66 coupe we hauled home years ago so I'll check it for the clips and any firewall pins I can swipe. My biggest trouble I'm having with this repop firewall is the sheetmetal screws pull through the metal pretty easy when torquing them down. One of the other problems is a couple extra holes that they must have used for 65 to 70(what this firewall was billed to fit). The heater hose holes are also huge, which it is too late to weld them up now. I bought a set of 69/70 heater hose grommets from NPD that solved the problem. They don't look correct for the concours finish but the thought of gooping the openings with sealer to fill in the huge gaps did not sound exciting. MCA judges and other purists will frown on them but they might also frown on the late model power brake booster on the other side. I may try spraying them with the sealer and crusting them a bit to "hide" them some.

My goal is to make it as correct as possible, in hopes that when I open the hood the average person will feel they are looking at a "new" and correct 64.5 Mustang. I'll take a few pics in a little bit and post what I've got.

Offline Lemondrop

Here is some random shots.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
The grommets can easily be obscured by wrapping strip caulk around the hoses and then spraying with sealant (or whatever you want to call the stuff on the firewall).  Remember to remove the negative ground at the firewall when you spray and also cover up the engine.  Should have been done before the engine went in.

Offline Lemondrop

Yes, I know I should have shot it prior but mine did not have much on it as seen in the pics, so I figured I'd touch spray it when I got there.