Author Topic: Fresh Air Vent mounts - 1968  (Read 577 times)

Offline mungus

Fresh Air Vent mounts - 1968
« on: January 02, 2024, 04:18:10 AM »
My drivers side fresh air vent is missing. No problem I thought, use a reproduction unit until I can find and restore a good OEM example. However when it arrived I found it had 4 mounting holes, arranged in 2 pairs. However my car has 3 studs to mount the LHS vent arranged in a triangle, (plus the one off to the side of the vent), and they look original.
See photo attached.

I searched on line and found several vlogs on other 1968 restorations, all with their OEM steel air vents having 3 mounting holes. Just like mine. 

So were there some 67/68 vents that used 4 mounting holes? Or are the reproductions simply that bad?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 03:13:21 PM by mungus »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline ruppstang

Re: Fresh Air Vent mounts - 1968
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 02:54:20 PM »
I have several original vent assemblies' and they all have four holes. I checked a 68 Dearborn car, and it has only three studs.

Offline mungus

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 04:01:15 AM »
Aha! Many thanks. So it was a plant thing?
Oh well now begins the search for a restorable 3 holer.
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 09:47:06 AM »
Aha! Many thanks. So it was a plant thing?
Oh well now begins the search for a restorable 3 holer.

I am not so sure that it was a plant thing. As I said I have several vents from different plants, and they all have four holes. I just checked the Dearborn car that was handy to see if it had three studs. I do not know if Ford possibly used this vent on other models that used four studs or why the manufacturer made them with four holes. There are some differences in the reproduction in the metal bracket and fasteners.