Author Topic: 65-Power Steering Hoses and Control Valve  (Read 2333 times)

Offline ChrisV289

65-Power Steering Hoses and Control Valve
« on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:17 PM »
Does anyone have a good pic of the power steering hoses as they look once installed on the control valve with the inner driver side tie rod installed?  I'd like to see the routing of them on an actual car.  I've looked at the diagrams in the assembly manual and restoration guide but would like to see it first hand.  Also is there suppose to be a strap that holds the lines to the control valve?  NPD has one for 67-70 and is part number 3A672 but the 65 assembly manual calls out part number 3C750...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:55:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline MattDoscher

Re: Power Steering Hoses and Control Valve
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »
Hey Chris,

Here are some pics from my wife's '65 Comet w/ 6cyl.  I completed this project last summer transforming it from manual steering to power steering.  Although its Mustang's cousin assembly is very similar.  No strap for the short pressure hoses just the metal bracket w/ rubber insulator that mounts to the lower A arm bolt to secure the long pressure and return hoses.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
These are the best photos I have of an original, untouched Dearborn '65 Mustang. No strap that I can see but I do have a vague recollection of a strap or a partial one, which is why it is not in the photo...not sure though.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline 65Ford

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:56:42 PM »
Here's a set from a Mustang which hasn't been on the road since 1988 - although anything can happen in 13 years.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65-Power Steering Hoses and Control Valve
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
Hope this helps - from 5F07A2706xx (one of Mike M great cars)  but the details should be the same though we should IMHO double check the style of clamp since I'm unsure if the assembly arrived at the plant as a sub assembly or was put together at a sub assembly station at each plant

But its a start

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:33:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I assume that the bends on that end are the same on both a Ford pressure hose and the Eaton pressure hose?  I am changing mine out from the Ford pump to the Eaton pump...I believe Mike has the Eaton pump on the ivy green coupe and a Ford pump on the honey gold convertible.  So based on the VIN I assume this is the ivy green one pictured.  I don't remember what he has on the honey gold coupe if that one even has power steering or not...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
Hope this helps - from 5F07A2706xx (one of Mike M great cars)  but the details should be the same though we should IMHO double check the style of clamp since I'm unsure if the assembly arrived at the plant as a sub assembly or was put together at a sub assembly station at each plant

But its a start

Jeff's photo is the only one that shows the assemblyline type crimp clamp that holds the metal lines to the control valve.  They are easier to install on the bench rather then on the car if you have a choice. They were probably installed as a complete assembly prior to being installed on the car IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I assume that the bends on that end are the same on both a Ford pressure hose and the Eaton pressure hose?  I am changing mine out from the Ford pump to the Eaton pump...I believe Mike has the Eaton pump on the ivy green coupe and a Ford pump on the honey gold convertible.  So based on the VIN I assume this is the ivy green one pictured.  I don't remember what he has on the honey gold coupe if that one even has power steering or not...

The picture is from the ivy green coupe. Mikes aqua (sorry forget the real color) coupe didn't have PS though as you wrote the convertible does. It also has the/a clamp

Jeff's photo is the only one that shows the assemblyline type crimp clamp that holds the metal lines to the control valve.  They are easier to install on the bench rather then on the car if you have a choice. They were probably installed as a complete assembly prior to being installed on the car IMO.

+1  Also believe that the clamp was placed on the assembly before it reached the car assembly line and the car. Only concern was did it arrive at the car assembly plant preassembled.  Just clarifying
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)