Author Topic: Early April 1964 Rear Tie Down Question  (Read 384 times)

Offline Ptreacy

Early April 1964 Rear Tie Down Question
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
Anghel restoration,

I was able to read your quite comprehensive review on tie down brackets.  I have been putting my car back together after rotisserie frame and body work.  I am a sucker for nostalgia and am working very hard to make the car original with the exception of the changes i want to make.  I bought the car in 1982 when i was 16.  I am now doing my best to make every bolt on the care like new.  From what i can tell the car was assembled in Dearborn around April 9th or 10th 1964.  Below is my tie down bracket story.

1) i am converting from singe exhaust to dual
2) i purchased the conversion brackets from NPD to use existing holes to hand the tail pipes.
3) i have now learned that the holes referenced are for the original shipping tie down brackets.
4) the holes on my April 9/10 1964 build vert are spaded 4 3/8”, the holes in the conversion bracket are 3 1/2”
5) this alone wouldn’t be a problem could drill new hole in conversion bracket.
6) holes in frame rail are not through holes but have a crush nut/nutsert type fastener on one side of the frame rail, similar to how the power steering bracket is held in place ( i had to replace one).
7) these nutserts are pretty rusted and threads wont hold a bolt.
8) actually 3 nurserts, two on side of frame rail, one with smaller diameter underneath.

Have done hours of research on the tie down brackets. Seems like there was variation by plant, dual vs single exhaust, etc. with all of the great history written in the forums and your summary on your website is incredible. i have not seen one instance where the holes for the tie down bracket hardware are not through holes through the frame rail? Has you ever seen the set up my car has? Pictures below. I was able to clean up the threads and use them for the npd bvracket slightly modified.

main question, to try to learn/understand the early mustang assembly

have you ever seen the set up I have with the nut serts on one side of the frame rail?

brackets.