Author Topic: Date coded parts  (Read 747 times)

Offline 64.5 Steve

Date coded parts
« on: March 20, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
What is a good source for dare coded parts

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Date coded parts
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:57:45 PM »
you did not give enough info. what parts?? what year?? NOS or used??
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
What is a good source for dare coded parts

There is not one greatest source. Most yards and the like HATE people calling about dated this and that. They know that 95% of the time the date they find on their parts won't be the one that the caller is looking for.  Been told this maybe a hundred times. Instead your likely going to have to posts allot of wanted ads and hope that someone will take the time to look for you and then expect that you will pay a bonus over the going rate since there is a cost for the effort. 

Other choice it to go to allot of swap meets and look through a ton of parts (guys often don't like lugging around sheet metal. To big, to easy to damage ..........

Last and often best choice if your doing a car - especially one that is missing pieces, your attempting to build a top end car or one that has had replacement of parts over the years is to consider finding a parts/donor car, even if its not the same body style.  These in the long run can be bargins IMHO. Often builders will take and use what they need and the car will get passed to maybe two to three additional builders before its used up or parted out completely and the parts traded or sold.

Owners of cars from other period have always used parts cars but for some reasons Mustang builders have used them allot less. Possibly since the parts for the plentiful Mustangs were so easy to come up with through the years when compared to other cars. Now with less yards and parts its a great option especially if you can find one built at the same time and plant.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:05:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 64.5 Steve

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the info was thinking about the trunk lid but may be have it repaired would be a better option the code on it is  1 13 2 C.  This is on my 64.5 convertible

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »
Something else to think about is to just keep the car running and mechanically sound by rebuilding original parts and not go the restoration route. There is a lot of interest in original cars with 'patina' and scars from the years.

From what I saw of your car, if it was mine, I think that's what I would consider.

Just my $0.02.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the info was thinking about the trunk lid but may be have it repaired would be a better option the code on it is  1 13 2 C.  This is on my 64.5 convertible

Trunk lids can be a bugger because the sheetmetal is curved it tends to buckle (in the direction of the original curve).  Provided that your truck lid fitment (gaps, ability to seal out moisture) isn't compromised then you can repair that minor damage.  Unfortunately in my experience even a minor damage like that will disrupt the symmetry of the normal arc of the truck lid.  An easy way to check is to create a cardboard template and run it across your truck lid (driver's side to passenger side).  It will help you identify any issues.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open