Author Topic: 68-71 Autolite group 24 battery identification?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline 0F94M

68-71 Autolite group 24 battery identification?
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
I have an autolite battery that I bought at a swap meet in the early 90's.. I was wondering if this is an original assembly line battery,  a service replacement, or a repro?
Thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 06:20:13 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Autolite group 24 battery identification?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 06:40:12 PM »
It has a 1968 date stamp on the bottom case that the repros do not have . It has a assemblyline sticker dated for 1969 which may or may not be original. It has a heat stamp number marking on top side of the case that the assembly line batteries had but that repros do not. It does have two styles of original type battery caps.  Given that appearance it is much more likely that it is a genuine then it is a repro IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 0F94M

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:29:01 PM »
Bob,  thank you for your response.
I bought this in about 1990... iirc the 6th cap was broken and I replaced it with one I had lying around.  The tag was on the battery when I bought it.  The heat stamp on top reads 8EDB.  Am I correct in that a service replacement would have the month/year punch outs in the tag?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:03:42 AM »
Bob,  thank you for your response.
I bought this in about 1990... iirc the 6th cap was broken and I replaced it with one I had lying around.  The tag was on the battery when I bought it.  The heat stamp on top reads 8EDB.  Am I correct in that a service replacement would have the month/year punch outs in the tag?
That is a yes on the service replacement service sticker. ECS reproduced a authentic assemblyline battery sticker but that was in the early 2000's I think.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby