Author Topic: inner fender splash shield  (Read 2227 times)

Offline cob428

inner fender splash shield
« on: September 09, 2020, 12:58:00 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of the inner fender bracket that attaches to the galvanized fender shield? My car has both galvanized shield but they are not attached to the fender and I have no idea how they are attached. Are the retainers on the galvanized shield or are they on the fender bracket?
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: inner fender splash shield
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 03:06:53 PM »
There is a forward bracket epoxied to the inside surface of the fender that connects to the galvanized bracket that attaches to the inner fender panel/ Attached over the galvanized bracket is the plastic forward splash shield

Found it tough finding a picture of everything installed except the splash shield. Sorry its an older upload and way too large but quick

Did find this example below but want to remind everyone the finishes and such are not correct/original so this is being offered ONLY to show the relationship between the bracket, fender and inner fenders. Green arrows show the attachment points from fender bracket and galvanized one 

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 04:33:20 PM »
It is very common for the fiberglass bracket that is glued to the fender that the galvanized panel attaches to be broken off and missing . Typically you can still see the witness marks where it was attached on the fender. Not that hard to make if missing however. It is just tedious with a few steps
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
Picture of the attachment point on the inside surface of a fender

Jeff Speegle

Offline cob428

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
Thank you Jeff and Bob makes it easier to see how it is supposed to be.
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline Dooley

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »

Another view

Offline bobboss351

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 01:59:26 PM »
 I have a car that both the frt plastic splash shields are missing,
 I have both the galvinized shields and was unaware of the original frt plastic shields being there,,, The car is a late 9 6 1969 car,,,  Are they suppose to be there,,,, lol,,,

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »
I have a car that both the frt plastic splash shields are missing,
 I have both the galvinized shields and was unaware of the original frt plastic shields being there,,, The car is a late 9 6 1969 car,,,  Are they suppose to be there,,,, lol,,,

Yes and they are the same as what was used on every Mustang that year so should be fairly easy to find. The more sound deadener sprayed on them the better since its easy to remove and in most cases protected the original look/finish
Jeff Speegle

Offline bobboss351

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
Thank you Jeff,,,,, appericate your expertise ,,  Bob Wilson,,,

Offline cob428

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 06:13:57 PM »
Jeff, there doesn't seem to be a very correct repair manual for the shelby's that I have been able to find. I am currently using all the Osborn manuals available as well as the illustration manual and Shelby unique parts catalog. a lot of the illustrations are very sketchy as well as seems to be incorrect as some of the library pictures show. Any other suggestions?
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »
Jeff, there doesn't seem to be a very correct repair manual for the shelby's that I have been able to find. I am currently using all the Osborn manuals available as well as the illustration manual and Shelby unique parts catalog. a lot of the illustrations are very sketchy as well as seems to be incorrect as some of the library pictures show. Any other suggestions?

Some of the judging rules may help and provide little detail here or their but they are not laid out nor designed to be a how to restore manual

Not really anything better and no easy button to push. Check a what ever detail your studying against unrestored cars of the same time period, ask questions, do your home work. Following the crowd or pictures of restored cars on the internet or old magazines will not typically be the best route
Jeff Speegle

Offline AJ

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 02:19:18 PM »
Taking opportunity to add sequential photos since I happen to be at this point of assembly.  Photos may not reflect most accurate/best practices vs. original, but i think decent  capture of orientation.  And how one rookie went about installing.

Note:  In middle photo, the two bolts that secure galvanized piece to the fiberglass bracket have not yet been installed.  I chose to put rubber washer between galvanized part and fiberglass bracket as a stress buffer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:26:14 PM by AJ »
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 04:55:06 PM »
Taking opportunity to add sequential photos since I happen to be at this point of assembly.  Photos may not reflect most accurate/best practices vs. original, but i think decent  capture of orientation.  And how one rookie went about installing.

Thanks for showing the progression of installing the individual parts
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 06:33:22 PM »
 Good workmanship skills . I always appreciate effort like this. With that said for those reading that may be looking for historical details It should be understood that in the first picture from the factory the fiberglass strip that bonds the lower front fender half to the upper portion is a contrasting color gray and not the same light gray as the backside of some fenders . Those pieces were separate and bonded together as part of the mfg process. . Also the epoxy glue that squeezes out the sides of the bonding strip is a darker contrast color . This detail could be a relatively easy detail to duplicate if faux finish painting. Also in the same picture when the lower valance was blacked out there was substantial overspray to the connecting fender area because it was not taped off .
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:35:23 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby