Author Topic: Original floor mats FoMoCo what years?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline 10w30dna

• Tim O'Connor Distributor Restoration
Original floor mats FoMoCo what years?
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »
Found these in the trunk of my '67 Galaxie while looking for other parts...... Can someone tell me if these Mustang mats are correct for all early ,pre '71, Mustangs? Both are marked FoMoCo and different left/right.  I looked on Ebay for past sales but none found. Thanks
44 years as Ford dealer technician,retired.Favorite toys:'67 Fairlane drag race car. 10.40 @ 129 mph 1.40 60 ft. Current resto project: '68 Shelby GT 350 conv w/Paxton Supercharger .

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Original floor mats FoMoCo what years?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »
Found these in the trunk of my '67 Galaxie while looking for other parts...... Can someone tell me if these Mustang mats are correct for all early ,pre '71, Mustangs? Both are marked FoMoCo and different left/right.  I looked on Ebay for past sales but none found. Thanks
I am not sure if pre 67 or not. They end up in a lot of 65 and 66's because of the availability of the nice reproduction. They were sold over the counter at the dealerships typically . They didn't come in the cars from the factory. They have been pretty faithfully reproduced for several decades now. Most larger Mustang vendors sell them the Ford trademark on the backside is one of the easiest and main ways to tell if they are genuine or not. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:24:07 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »

Don't think they are "correct" and for judging they would ahve to be removed from any car they were installed for.

Since they were typically dealer installed guess they could ahve been installed in just about anything up into the 70's of the owner was willing to pay for and wanted them

In your example I guess the dealer didn't have the Ford or non- Mustang versions in stock and the owner didn't want to wait.

I'm guessing that you have alrady read and looked at the pictures posted in the older much longer thread on the subject ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:36:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 10w30dna

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:01:47 PM »
Any collector value? Maybe Ebay......

My '67 Galaxie has become a storage unit....HUGE trunk! I bought it new w/428 and 4 speed. Had it 52 years so far  ;D

Found other stuff in there too........
44 years as Ford dealer technician,retired.Favorite toys:'67 Fairlane drag race car. 10.40 @ 129 mph 1.40 60 ft. Current resto project: '68 Shelby GT 350 conv w/Paxton Supercharger .

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:33:57 AM »
Any collector value? Maybe Ebay......

My '67 Galaxie has become a storage unit....HUGE trunk! I bought it new w/428 and 4 speed. Had it 52 years so far  ;D

Found other stuff in there too........
Collector value yes but they would have to be in excellent condition considering the excellent repros available. The repros have had a effect of less demand for the genuine at a higher price. If less then excellent condition you will have a hard time getting anything for them IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 12:41:08 AM »
The ones in your picture have a addition cut or tear not on a unaltered set. At about 60.00 for a set of fronts and short ones for the back seat foot area nice repro mats there isn't a big market for damaged or altered originals.    I would imagine that would highly diminish the value if trying to sell them. Just my opinion others my have different

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 12:54:59 AM »
The mats that you pictured are Genuine Ford Accessory Mats for Mustangs, and were cataloged in Ford Accessory Catalogs from 1965 through 1973 (possibly longer as I don't have any Accessory Catalogs from 1974-1979). They were sold in sets ; either Front (C5ZZ-6513086, $7.95), or Rear (C5ZZ-6513106, $4.96).  However, while the mats cataloged from 1970 on appear the same as those prior, sometime between July of 1969 and July of 1970, the Part Number changed to D0ZZ -.
Interestingly, in 1967, the C5ZZ mats were included in the Factory Option "Protection Group", along with Front and Rear License Plate Frames and Door Edge Guards, for $25.28. Of course, even though this Option was ordered with the car, it is possible that the components could have come from a Dealer's stock, as well as coming from the Factory.

As far as "collector value" of mats like you pictured, IMHO, there is really no value. As mentioned, the Reproductions are of such good quality and new materials, that a used set would not be practical, particularly since, as Jeff mentioned, they would have to be removed from the car for Concourse judging. However, if one had proof of their car having been ordered with the Protection Group Option in 1967 (or possibly later years also)m an NOS set would have value.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 03:28:03 AM »
Not to hijack this thread, but just want to confirm that what has been stated is that floor matts were not a factory option until the protection group option became available.

Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline 10w30dna

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 12:44:42 PM »
Thanks for the input/education. I should have used the "search" feature,sorry.

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 03:58:18 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but just want to confirm that what has been stated is that floor matts were not a factory option until the protection group option became available.

Thanks

Based on my resources/ documentation, which includes 1965, 66 and 67 Salesman's Price Books and the 1967 Showroom Options book, yes, that is correct. That being said, I do not have such resources for 1968 "up" to know if the Protection Group was a Factory Option beyond 1967, and if it was, if it included the Floor Mats. Possibly someone with more knowledge and documentation of 1968 "up" years can add to my information.

Just a word of caution on "documentation" ; Sales Brochures are not considered good documentation. While they are interesting, and somewhat helpful, they typically show what was intended at the time of their printing, not necessarily what was actually done. In the case of 1967 Mustangs, the brochure dated "8/66" hoes not mention the Protection Group Option along with other noted Options. However, it, and its contents, are noted in the 1967 Showroom Options book, and in the salesman's price books dated 10/17/66 and 3/10/67, which are a pretty good indication that the Protection group was, in fact, offered in 1967.

One must also take "with a grain of salt", Reprints or Reproductions of Ford publications which include "summaries" by the authors. For example, the "1967 Ford Mustang Illustrated Facts" book shows the "Protection Group" as a "Regular Production Option" only. Yet, obviously, a Dealer could put together all of the contents of the Protection Group from its Parts Inventory (thus making it a Dealer Option) and make more money for the Dealer.

Hope this helps.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909