Author Topic: Cloth tape  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Nightmist66gt

Re: Cloth tape
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »
I buy one last year for my 89 gt and it was exactly like the original wrapping tape that hold the wire loom but I dont compare to my 66 aplication, the heater motor tape from npd is 913-3 and its a 2'' size

Offline daniel94

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »
Where I work (at an automotive Tier 1 supplier), we have some very nice certoplast cloth tape that we use which is also black on the adhesive side.  Unfortunately, I can't easily find out which part number or line it's from, but it's only about 3/4" wide anyway.  I'm sure they make it wider though.  Their website is http://www.certoplast.com/frameset_eng.htm.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 05:42:56 PM »
Where I work (at an automotive Tier 1 supplier), we have some very nice certoplast cloth tape that we use which is also black on the adhesive side. 

The real product may be different but the pictures appear to show a product that is has a reflective exterior surface unlike the original possible with plastic or other products mixed in

Just and observation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »
That looks like friction tape, the type used on hockey sticks back in the 60's when I played. There are limited uses for friction tape, none that I know of for 64-66, however it was used on the blower motor housing in 67 on, but that was a one inch wide tape.
Jim

+1 on the friction tape. The wiring harnesses in my '68 San Jose car are wrapped with it (probably common knowledge here?). For those that aren't familiar with it, friction tape is a cloth tape impregnated with adhesive, so it's sticky on both sides.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »
+1 on the friction tape. The wiring harnesses in my '68 San Jose car are wrapped with it (probably common knowledge here?). For those that aren't familiar with it, friction tape is a cloth tape impregnated with adhesive, so it's sticky on both sides.

Don't believe the original product had adhesive on both sides - other than what would have been lightly transferred from putting it on the roll. Nothing I've seen on original applications suggest that the top of the tape was tacky - lots of stuff stuck to it and the like. One of the issues with using that sort of tape

Just my observations
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 12:17:42 AM »
Don't believe the original product had adhesive on both sides - other than what would have been lightly transferred from putting it on the roll. Nothing I've seen on original applications suggest that the top of the tape was tacky - lots of stuff stuck to it and the like. One of the issues with using that sort of tape

Just my observations
That could be. My harnesses had a slight tackiness to them, but that might have been adhesive soaking through or migrating over the years.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »
 /\/\/\ I think you are correct sir.

Offline daniel94

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
The real product may be different but the pictures appear to show a product that is has a reflective exterior surface unlike the original possible with plastic or other products mixed in

Just and observation

Note that the link was just to get you onto the proper company's website.  After a bit of browsing, I believe this (the certoplast 510) is closest to what I have:
http://certoplast.com/en/sectors/automotive/classic-tapes/certoplast/

Whichever one that I have is certainly a very black cloth with no shine to it whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:01:25 PM by daniel94 »

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 01:05:53 AM »
I find this tape in all sorts of places.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »
I find this tape in all sorts of places.

I've got it on the dash under the instrument bezel, a few small pieces holding wiring to the tunnel, and covering the channels under the sill plates.
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
I've got it on the dash under the instrument bezel, a few small pieces holding wiring to the tunnel, and covering the channels under the sill plates.

Since this is posted in the 65-66 section think we might be best served with keeping the examples focused on those two- plus years
Jeff Speegle