Author Topic: '65-'66 Tail Light Bezels  (Read 6758 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65-'66 Tail Light Bezels
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »
Anyone have experiance with the "newer" "best on the market" $50.00 tail light bezels? as far as quality and appearance? are these "Ford Tooling" parts? I'm guessing they would be an improvement over the older cheapo reproduction ones...

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: '65-'66 Tail Light Bezels
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:41:04 AM »
Anyone have experiance with the "newer" "best on the market" $50.00 tail light bezels? as far as quality and appearance? are these "Ford Tooling" parts? I'm guessing they would be an improvement over the older cheapo reproduction ones...
We handle these tail light bezels, and I think that they are very nice.  Scott Drake Mustang has these made.  The chrome and details look very good, and they fit way better than the cheaper imports. 

I even replaced a set of NOS Ford ones on my own car with these after the chrome on the Ford ones started "crazing."

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-CHROME-TAIL-LIGHT-DOOR-BEZELS-MADE-IN-USA-SHOW-QUALITY-PAIR-P2097.aspx

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
Brant, Thanks for the review and link on these bezels, I knew you had them and am very inclined to buy my car a set for Christmas based on your word alone since it seems to me that you care about quality and your customers-besides how can I go wrong in replacing the cheapo Chinese ones that are on my car now?-Rick

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »
Guys I ordered a set of these bezels yesterday from Brant along with some other small stuff (near the end of the day) and I already was sent a tracking number!! THANKS BRANT!!!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »
Received the GREAT LOOKING bezels yesterday from VA Mustang (Brant) and I really must say that they are absolutely beutiful!! I see absolutely no problems with fit or finish whatsoever!
I was going to ask if these were Ford Tooling or Ford Licensed parts but found that they wern't acording to the packaging-I personally don't have any originals to compaire with but feel that these bezels are very nice quality and will look so much better on my restored '65 K GT Convertible than the dime-store imported ones on there now!
I also bought the stainless screws which will be better for me as I am in Florida.
I also bought a set of headlight retainer rings, screws, a lower radiator hose spring, and a Concours under-hood spec decal and all were expertly packaged and arrived just 2 days after placing the order!!
Thanks Again Brant & Company!!!!!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
UPDATE: Just installed the new bezels and what a difference they make!!
There was an older thread somewhere about these bezels in general in that someone reported seeing the Ford logo on the back of them-I wonder if they were refering to the Ford part number?
There IS a Ford part number on the back along with the "Scott Drake" name and they are marked with "top" as well so they can/will be installed correctly-again, REALLY NICE PIECES!! I am very satisfied with them as you can tell.

Just out of my curiosity what are most of you running on your cars? Originals/NOS? Imported reproduction? or the Concours Scott Drake reproduction??
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:51:52 PM by C5ZZKGT »

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
I only use NOS on show cars, but just a personal preference.  It would be a very tough piece to re-chrome properly, due to the pebble surface and all the curves.

Good to know there is a decent reproduction, thanks for sharing.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  Like I mentioned, I am very happy that these bezels are available.  I think that they are nicer and (in at least one case) hold up better/look nicer (chrome wise) than the NOS service parts.  Like Charles mentioned, I too believe that it would be a very difficult part to have rechromed properly.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!  Like I mentioned, I am very happy that these bezels are available.  I think that they are nicer and (in at least one case) hold up better/look nicer (chrome wise) than the NOS service parts.  Like Charles mentioned, I too believe that it would be a very difficult part to have rechromed properly.

Brant, You are most welcome for the feedback both on the parts and your service!!
It is always a pleasure doing business with you!!-Never a problem!
And I do agree that these bezels would be hard to rechrome correctly-I have no originals to start with either, so again, I am very satisfied with the quality and fit of these bezels, and will see how they hold up, which I don't feel will be a problem either considering the quality I'm seeing with the plating on them, and the 6 coats of wax I've got on them!!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
UPDATE: 7/20/2012: Even with all the care I have given these bezels along with the rest of my car which is kept in my garage the bezels have now started to pit, I must admit I thought they would last longer than this without pitting.
Certainly NO fault of Virginia Classic Mustang of course, just wanted everyone to know.
I wonder if S/D will replace them for me?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
I have advised Brant of this situation AND Emailed PAUL KERNER at Scott Drake to advise as well, Brant responded immediatly as usual (TOP NOTCH CUSTOMER SERVICE) and told me there was a big problem with Drake's Email and website which was evedentally fixed the next day, so Paul IS in receipt of my Email about the bezels.......anyone else using the Drake bezels? any pitting yet?
Brant mentioned that a pair of original/nos FORD bezels "crazed" on him which makes me leary of spending the big $$ on a set of those.......

Offline andric

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
On the subject of Tail Light Bezels, did all bezels on 65-66 Mustangs have the black paint in between the holes? I have seen original bezels without the paint but the paint may have been worn off.

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
On the subject of Tail Light Bezels, did all bezels on 65-66 Mustangs have the black paint in between the holes? I have seen original bezels without the paint but the paint may have been worn off.

Should have had black paint.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »
it comes down to all the parts are the same no matter who's name is on it, for the bolt on trinkets

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »
it comes down to all the parts are the same no matter who's name is on it, for the bolt on trinkets

Sorry to disagree with this, but I have been able to compaire the Drake parts with the others and they are of much better quality, side-by-side compairisn, still disapointed with the Drake bezels though.....and with the comment that Brant made about the NOS FORD bezels "crazing"  (whatever that is) may be I should just buy some of those fancy billet ones.....