Author Topic: '65-'66 Tail Light Bezels  (Read 6759 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: '65-'66 Tail Light Bezels
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
Does anyone know who made the bezels for Ford in 1965? IS there original tooling still around for them?
-The Drake bezels ARE a way better fitting and looking bezel than the chineese ones on the market for sure, may be Drake just needs to do a better job with the plating process, I don't think the originals pitted this quickly out on the streets in 1965......

-Bunch of folks reading this thread, I guess besides Brant and I we are the only ones to have bought and installed these bezels on our cars......

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
If I remember right, there is something like a 'DC' casting on the originals, which I'm sure is no relation to Daniel Carpenter reproductions.  Most likely something like "Dearborn Castings" or something like that.  Ford sold these for a long time, the tooling must have been out there somewhere.

Although, I think you are right about the plating process, maybe that is the root of the problem.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »
     I have a pair of NOS bezels still in the Ford box's dated Dec. 10, 1999 ' ONE DOOR C5ZZ-1349-A '.  Some of the cast info is; 2  7920 FoMOCo/oval another logo with the letters D C inside a larger W with the letter A Incorporated into the lower portion and a pair of lowercase c's.  C4ZB-13449-B   2   TOP.
     The ones on my car have the same info.  The chrome on both sets, in my opinion, 1s show quality.  These bezels have not received any special treatment or care.  They live in the garage about 3 blocks from the ocean.   Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
So, Brian, We're thinking that FORD (Original supplier) was still making these at the end of 1999?? Thats very cool news to hear!! Do they have the "DC" in the castings like Charles mentioned? (Charles, I realize that the ones Brian has are "service replacements"......wonder who REALLY made them??)

I also sit here wondering IF ANYONE would stoop so low as to have the FORD boxes reproduced and pack them with the cheap chineese units OF ANYTHING-not just the bezels.......

I also have to wonder WHY Drake's bezels are NOT a Ford Licensed product.....

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »
If I remember right, there is something like a 'DC' casting on the originals, which I'm sure is no relation to Daniel Carpenter reproductions.  Most likely something like "Dearborn Castings" or something like that.  Ford sold these for a long time, the tooling must have been out there somewhere.

Although, I think you are right about the plating process, maybe that is the root of the problem.

I really think so Charles. And you know for just a few more $$ Drake could have done a better plating job-(not in appearance mind you, but in the process itself-may be they skipped a step or 2) Based on whats happened to mine I would have been more than glad to have spent up to $75.00 instead of $50.00 for bezels that would have lasted perhaps 10 years in the elements before starting to pit.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
8/3/12: No reply from Paul @ Drake yet.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »
-Got a reply from Paul @ Drake and he stated that I had pointed out that their bezels had lasted more than 4 times as long without pitting than the chineese junk ones, and that the climate where I live played a role in the pitting.
He DID say that DRAKE warranties parts that THEY make/chrome for 2 years and I could send them in for replacement or feild destroy them and send pictures......offered to do this direct, but I am choosing to send them to Brant at VA Mustang as thats where I bought them.........

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »
This website is interesting, gives some info about why chrome starts spotting and preservation tips:

http://www.redrivertriumphclub.org/chrome.htm

Would agree with Drake that your environment in FL has more humidity and salt air, which causes chrome to spot quicker.  Out of curiosity, do you wash your car with soap/water?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
-Charles, I'll check out the site in your link, I really can't help where I live-lol, and NO washing so far, but it DID get wet last October at the Space Coast Mustang show with rain which I immediatly dried off.