Author Topic: Thermostatic Choke Insert  (Read 720 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Thermostatic Choke Insert
« on: June 15, 2020, 04:48:34 AM »
I originally Posted this in the "Processes, Products & Techniques Section, in my Topic of "Thermostatic Choke Inlet Tube Adaptor Removal", as it had to do with one of the Products. However, with almost two weeks of no responses, I thought I'd try it here.

Does anyone have an original NOS Thermostatic Choke Control Insert (C2OZ-9A714-A), or an original insert that was removed intact, that you could measure the OD an length ?

The reason I am asking this is that I was unable to find an original C2OZ insert, but was able to find an NOS part that replaced  it (D3TZ-9A714-A). As "replacements" will work, but may not be "exactly" like the original, I am curious if this a "direct replacement", or if I will need to modify its length.

Thanks,

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Thermostatic Choke Insert
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
A picture of what it it that you are talking about may jog some memories.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »
I originally Posted this in the "Processes, Products & Techniques Section, in my Topic of "Thermostatic Choke Inlet Tube Adaptor Removal", as it had to do with one of the Products. However, with almost two weeks of no responses, I thought I'd try it here.

Does anyone have an original NOS Thermostatic Choke Control Insert (C2OZ-9A714-A), or an original insert that was removed intact, that you could measure the OD an length ?

The reason I am asking this is that I was unable to find an original C2OZ insert, but was able to find an NOS part that replaced  it (D3TZ-9A714-A). As "replacements" will work, but may not be "exactly" like the original, I am curious if this a "direct replacement", or if I will need to modify its length.

Thanks,

Bob
Sorry i didn't respond before because I never use a NOS insert for this part so I couldn't help . Given your continued inquiry I thought I would add how I handle my issue and why.  I have always used the repro kit. https://www.npdlink.com/product/fitting-and-screen-choke-stove-pipe-repro-screen/143995  I have bought the repro kit for years. The exterior seen cap I have to sacrifice when taking it off with a chisel (easiest way for me) working from one side and then the other. The replacement internal filter material looks very close to what I pull out. Common sense and logic tells me it works the same . The external cap in the kit is the same dimension and appearance as I see on the many NOS exhaust manifolds I have had /have over the years. I choose to use the replacement part in this case because it is the same material and it is not seen. I also use after market bearings,cams ,springs etc. in my engine rebuilds because they are at least equal and in most case superior in quality to what was used original plus they are not seen . I don't think if it is not seen that it has any negative effect on the history of the car and or marque that we are trying to preserve. Nothing wrong and is preferred all things being equal if using a original part if you can but equally nothing wrong in using a equal or superior part in a place that isn't seen ether. Just my opinion. Others may have a different one.   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:57:28 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »
Scott : Attached is a picture of the part in question - a Choke Stove Screen, or Filter.

Bob { thanks for your Reply. If I hadn't already had an NOS Inlet Tube Adapter, I too would have gone with the Repro Kit. When I found an NOS D3 screen for less than $4.00 including shipping, I could hardly justify $23.50 plus shipping for the Repro Kit. I figure that even the D3 is probably better than the original C2 part anyway.
Maybe when I take my old adapter out, the old screen will come out intact, and my question will be answered.

Thanks again to both of you for your Replies.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909