Author Topic: Master cylinder cap black out  (Read 10880 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Disc Brake Master Cylinder Cap
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »
FYI the the cast master and zinc dichromate plated cap (gold) were typically painted black as a unit too. Many of the restored ones (and NOS caps) are unpainted.

I thought the '65s were Black and the '66s were the zinc.....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
I thought the '65s were Black and the '66s were the zinc.....

Painted black as a unit (for 65-66 disc brakes)  has been the expectation of Judges and the current understanding for about 10 years now if I recall history correctly
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »
Painted black as a unit (for 65-66 disc brakes)  has been the expectation of Judges and the current understanding for about 10 years now if I recall history correctly

WOW!! Gotcha Jeff.    I did not know that.  my July 27th 1965 unit is painted Black-both m/c and cap. (NO decal)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 08:08:07 PM »
Have you seen evidence of the sticker on the master cylinder before on a unrestored or original disk brake car. seems to me they always turn up on restored cars not unrestored.

Believe (don't have a picture) that I have seen evidence on at least one cap but that was years ago. Would feel allot more comfortable if I had a pictue of what I recall. Other cars, that I feel comfortable with their originallity done show anything but of course the lack of something doesn't always prove a fact.
But also have not had any luck of finding the decal on original t-birds and Fords from the 66 May plus period

We have documents that show a change of brake fluid in 66. We have changes (if I recall correctly) of a change in caliper seals and cap gasket that may be related. Just looking for confirmation IMHO.

But im guessing to would hard to retain a sticker in good/legable condition on a master cylinder with brake fluid in close contact.

Yes part of the challenge. Most of the master cylinders have lost most or all of their original black paint so of course those would likely not have the decal also (in that period) Even looking at 67 (allot more cars since it was a greater period of time) its difficult to find many decals on those.

The search continues

WOW!! Gotcha Jeff.    I did not know that.  my July 27th 1965 unit is painted Black-both m/c and cap. (NO decal)

Yep - we're learning all the time. Your car isn't in the period we're discussing about the decal so your fine there
Jeff Speegle

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:32 PM »
The May 2010 issue of Mustang Monthly has a picture of a 1966 K Fastback with disc brakes owned by Bob Perkins. The article states the car has 3,800 miles. The picture of the D/B Master Cylinder Cap shows a sticker. I wonder if the decal was added later. I hope that Bob will shed some light on this as he is the MCA Head Judge for authenticity.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
Yes indeed Bob Perkins 66 k fastback does have the sticker on the disk brake cap. Did ask him about that many years at his place but never got a definative answer on the matter...  Until then i will follow the belief that there was no sticker on the cap and that the cap and master cylinder was all painted black when installed.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:58 PM »
................ belief that there was no sticker on the cap and that the cap and master cylinder was all painted black when installed.

OF course the black paint has nothing to do with decal or no decal ;)

But this is why we discuss details like this ..... to discover
Jeff Speegle

Offline 6R07K

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »
I can imagine the answer being similar to the usual questions on the correct black to use. But whats the most likely black to use and the coverage of the master cylinder and cap on a late April 66 SJ car?
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »
The May 2010 issue of Mustang Monthly has a picture of a 1966 K Fastback with disc brakes owned by Bob Perkins. The article states the car has 3,800 miles. The picture of the D/B Master Cylinder Cap shows a sticker. I wonder if the decal was added later. I hope that Bob will shed some light on this as he is the MCA Head Judge for authenticity.

Although low miles, this car was restored to Thoroughbred level.  It's an amazing car!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
I can imagine the answer being similar to the usual questions on the correct black to use. But whats the most likely black to use and the coverage of the master cylinder and cap on a late April 66 SJ car?
As has been said before there were many different sheen paints used on various under hood components .With that said Semi gloss black is a safe bet. FYI for a authentic look (and Superior moisture protection  ;) )don't forget the sound deadener/sealer around the base of the Master sealing it to the firewall. Everything coming out of the firewall was sealed this way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:15:40 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lathamjr

Master cylinder paint
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 11:01:24 PM »
I've been given the advice that my 65 manual drum master cylinder and cap should be semi-gloss black. What paint does well on the these parts? I've thought about POR15 but would like to know what has actually worked well. The only paint I've seen dedicated for the master cylinder is the Eastwood gray. I prefer to have it the correct color.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:55:10 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Master cylinder paint
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »
I've been given the advice that my 65 manual drum master cylinder and cap should be semi-gloss black. What paint does well on the these parts? I've thought about POR15 but would like to know what has actually worked well. The only paint I've seen dedicated for the master cylinder is the Eastwood gray. I prefer to have it the correct color.

Would not use POR on any restoration. INHO just about any semi-gloss black will do the job and make touch up (if needed) easy. Also consider that if everything is right your not going to be bothered by leaking and splashing of brake fluid while at the same time most/many owners use silicon based fluid in a fresh restoration.

All of these work together for an acceptable and workable solution and outcome
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:56:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »
 I agree with Jeff. I switch every vehicle I restore, or replace the brake system in, to silicone.

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »
I've started using epoxy primer reduced 25%-50% (depending on ambient temp and humidity when painting as well as the level of gloss that you are trying for). It's impervious to brake fluid and other fluids and is tough as nails.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:59 AM »
Has anyone tried powder coating a master cylinder cap? Seems like it would be nearly impervious to brake fluid.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock