Author Topic: Master cylinder cap black out  (Read 10881 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Master cylinder paint
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 12:15:42 PM »
Powder coating will leave the part looking like it has thick layers of paint on it.  With a cast/rough service, it just won't look right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 07:02:23 PM »
Powder coating will leave the part looking like it has thick layers of paint on it.  With a cast/rough service, it just won't look right.

+1

Would have that "dipped in plastic " sort of look  and then would it match the cap and the bail also as well as the booster if it were a power brake car?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »
Has anyone tried powder coating a master cylinder cap? Seems like it would be nearly impervious to brake fluid.
True, and it may not screw on.
Would have that "dipped in plastic " sort of look  and then would it match the cap and the bail also as well as the booster if it were a power brake car?
I believe the question was about the cap, not the reservoir. Still a no-no.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »

he is talking about the cap only, not the cast cylinder.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »
he is talking about the cap only, not the cast cylinder.

Then the coating will reduce or  eliminate the printing into the metal of those later caps and not match the surrounds - other items that would have been painted at the same time originally with the cap
Jeff Speegle

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »
i agree. powdercoat is not the best choice.
5F09C331248

Offline lathamjr

Brake Master Cylinder Paint
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
I've searched and can't find an answer regarding brake master cylinder paint for my '65. I get it that the master cylinder and cap are painted semi-gloss black, but want to know what kind of paint works best for it.
Is there an extra consideration because of the brake fluid or is it the same as the rest of the engine compartment? I welcome your feedback, the more detailed, the better.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake Master Cylinder Paint
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2019, 12:15:11 AM »
I've searched and can't find an answer regarding brake master cylinder paint for my '65. I get it that the master cylinder and cap are painted semi-gloss black, but want to know what kind of paint works best for it.
Is there an extra consideration because of the brake fluid or is it the same as the rest of the engine compartment? I welcome your feedback, the more detailed, the better.
Krylon brand is what I use however it doesn't really matter because If you get regular conventional brake fluid on the paint then it will typically get damaged regardless . If you use silicone (Dot 5) brake fluid then the paint will not be effected if it comes in contact with the fluid.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lathamjr

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 12:48:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I have never considered Krylon so I learned something. I typically use Rustoleum or Dupli-Color high-heat paints under the hood. I paid attention to a post that mentioned how the MC is painted as a unit but didn't see any paint type mentioned.
I've got to work on my brakes so I'll flush the system and use what you recommended.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2019, 12:57:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I have never considered Krylon so I learned something. I typically use Rustoleum or Dupli-Color high-heat paints under the hood. I paid attention to a post that mentioned how the MC is painted as a unit but didn't see any paint type mentioned.
I've got to work on my brakes so I'll flush the system and use what you recommended.
If doing a change over you have to flush very thoroughly  because the two are not compatible and will jell up if they come in contact with each other. besides flushing the system with alcohol I took the Master , wheel cylinders , proportioning valve dissembled them and re lubricated the seals with the dot 5 before putting them back into service . That is Just me. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lathamjr

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2019, 01:14:00 AM »
I'm going through the system that thoroughly so it'll be flushed well. Alcohol is cheap...especially compared to Dot 5. A paint that could stand up to glycol-based fluid would be nice.

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 07:06:08 AM »
I would not use DOT 5 in a classic vehicle but maybe that’s just me.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

Offline rrenz

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:56 AM »
I used duplicolor wheel paint on my 66. They say it’s designed to resist brake fluid (being that it’s wheel paint). It’s been a couple years now with no issues.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
I used duplicolor wheel paint on my 66. They say it’s designed to resist brake fluid (being that it’s wheel paint). It’s been a couple years now with no issues.

Just for other's benefit, finish looks great, but there would have been a plug inserted in the threaded boss when painted normally leaving a small round shadow around where the fitting attaches (a bare metal area) to the master cylinder. The plug would normally stay in place until removed and the line attached to keep contamination, dust, dirt and so on from the threads

Jeff Speegle

Offline rrenz

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
I actually did that however my plug wasn’t big enough and the paint sneaked around the plug.you can just barely see the bare spot on the left.   I did however also paint it with the cap on so the threads are still bare.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary