Author Topic: C Code correct vacuum advance  (Read 4010 times)

Offline rrenz

C Code correct vacuum advance
« on: June 02, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
Im currently on the hunt for the correct vacuum advance for my c code 289 automatic. Assuming I'm only going to be able to find an NOS part. Need the correct unit so i can return my vacuum line to steel instead of the rubber hose i currently have. Can anyone verify the correct part number? Ive come up with CODF-12370-A (DD-12).
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline jwc66k

Re: C Code correct vacuum advance
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »
You want a Motorcraft DD-190, C5AZ-12370-A - but be advised the latest version sold by many Mustang parts suppliers is NOT the correct one. The correct version has a threaded "plug" that is tapped for the fitting of a steel vacuum line. (The threads are the same at the carburetor end.) They sell a sealed unit without adjustment provisions that has a nipple for a rubber line. No rubber line was used on original vacuum advance distributors.
Jim
The factory part number is C5AF-12370-A but does not appear on the part or box.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:23:49 AM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:43:01 AM »
I was in the same boat rrenz.  I was able to put together the correct vacuum advance by buying the parts.  I was not able to acquire a complete restored unit so I sourced the parts and put one together.  Maybe someone on the site knows where somebody that restores vacuum advance units?

You can get a correct DD-190, C5AZ-12370-A from Tim o'Conner.  His website says he closed but send him an email (see his contact page) and ask if you can still buy parts from his website.  This was the same situation I encountered but found he was still selling parts from his website.  Ask him if he has the threaded end cap for the vacuum advance and the internal springs and washers.  He had a new/restored end cap when I asked so I bought one. 

http://www.428cobrajetcars.com/new_parts

If Tim does not have the end cap, internal springs and washers, see if you can pick up an old correct vacuum advance or distributor with the correct vacuum advance intact on eBay.  IIRC, I was able to pick up a gutted distributor with a bad vacuum advance (the diaphragm was shot) but it had all the internals for about $30.  The springs and washers are used to set the advance characteristics.  Here's some pics of the internal springs and washers (end cap on right).  The top parts in the picture are from a 64.5 260 Auto, the bottom are from a 65 289 Manual. 

Lastly, be sure to get your distributor re-curved.  Dan Nolan at Mustang Barn can do this for about $85. http://www.mustangbarn.com/

Good luck.

Mark

65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:47:58 AM »
Thanks guys for clearing this up. I will continue my hunt. This first thing people usually call me out on with my engine is my vacuum advance line. Currently at ford Carlisle hoping I'll find one this weekend.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
Tim O'Connor has these, he restores originals or has NOS:

http://www.428cobrajetcars.com/

He can also restore/recalibrate your original distributor.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 01:28:02 PM »
The website states for distributor rebuilds - "Closed Until Further Notice".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
Well dang!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »
Yup.  That's why I suggested Mustang Barn. Id still shoot off an email regarding parts purchases.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
Im currently on the hunt for the correct vacuum advance for my c code 289 automatic. Assuming I'm only going to be able to find an NOS part. Need the correct unit so i can return my vacuum line to steel instead of the rubber hose i currently have. Can anyone verify the correct part number? Ive come up with CODF-12370-A (DD-12).

The 1965 Master Parts Catalog that I have shows part# C5AZ 12370A for 8 cylinders Ford cars. The CODF 12370 A is listed for 6 cylinder Ford cars. I noticed that you're from Richmond, VA and I live in Northern, VA. I have five distributor vacuum advance units that are operational. One is unrestored used unit with no markings, one is a Autolite that's been used, 2 are Autolite restored never used since restoration and one is a Motorcraft that's been used. All of the units are operational. If you were unable to locate one in Carlise, PA send me a private PM.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 12:30:53 AM »
RRENZ: I returned your PM.